For all of us who need to mother ourselves

Started by NarcKiddo, August 05, 2023, 02:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarcKiddo

Sinead O'Connor: "This is to mother you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqt3YZ6gG2w

I have deliberately posted this YouTube rather than the official music video, which is also on You Tube, because the official video shows a couple in a romantic relationship but I think this song is way, way wider than that. Sinead was abused by her own mother.

Moondance

Powerful song! Thank you for sharing NarcKiddo. 

:hug:

Kizzie

I did not know that about her.  I see it as a much more impactful song when you know that about her. I read a quote that she used her voice to soothe her M when the beast would come out. That made the song even sadder. 

Just something I occasionally think about that the song brought up for me.  I wonder sometimes if there are ways to be remothered by someone else, not just adult us, if it might be a therapeutic approach to help warm and soothe that really hurt place we have in us.  When I read Bruce Perry's "The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog' he talks about a foster mom he knew who took in an abused 7 year old.  She would rock and sing to him and when asked why she did that with a child that old she simply said it was because he needed a lot of loving, he needed to feel it in his bones.  That image stuck with me.  I don't mean that we should be rocked per se, but mothered, hugged and comforted when we are sad or scared, someone to rejoice as a parent wold when something wonderful happens, that kind of thing.  Just noodling here.

Anyway, amazing song. 

Bermuda

Very sad. It explains so much though.

We are the advocates, the activists. When we find our voices, we are already accustomed to being told to be quiet. When we speak, we speak anyway.

Good on her for mothering herself. It seems the world is in need of more mothers.

BecomingMe

I discovered this song through your post here NarcKiddo and have played it sooooooooooooooooo many times. It has helped me to start truly grieving for the hurt and pain caused by my mother and I continue to use it to self-soothe. thank you so much for sharing it  :hug: