Ode to IBS

Started by sanmagic7, July 30, 2023, 09:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanmagic7

i've struggled w/ IBS for decades, and today i said 'enough!' just needed to get some chuckles out of it for a change.

Ode to IBS

O, IBS, I hate you so
You always keep me on the go
You turn my solids into flow.

O, IBS, you've stayed too long
I wish that you were just a song
And I could happily sing along.

O, IBS you give me grief
I'd love to have a little relief
Wish that your episodes were more brief.

O, IBS, you're just no fun
You always keep me on the run
From morning to the dying sun.

O, IBS, don't you see
Just what you've done to me?
Why won't you let me be!

O, IBS, you make me guess
Will today be another mess?
I do not need this extra stress!

O, IBS, just go away
Leave me alone so I can play
Without interruption to my day.

O, IBS, you make me sigh
Please leave me be to freely fly
And go about my day  . . . ooops!

O, IBS, I hate you so.

Moondance

:whistling:  :whistling:

San I'm whisling a tune in my head as I read your ODE to IBS. Enjoyed that, thanks!

yep I share that with you unfortunately and have had it for years. 

Kizzie

OMG too funny San!  I'm afraid we have the beginnings of a small club on here.  I also suffer from IBS.

Chaos rains

I thought IBS was required to be here? I got a note from doctor, just in case.... :whistling:

sanmagic7

moondance, very cute!  thanks! :hug:

kizie, an IBS club sounds about right.  my name is san and i have IBS . . . LOL!  :hug:

CR, i laughed out loud!  wonderful!  :hug:

i'm glad we could poke fun at something that is such a pain in the butt, so to speak.  lol!

Kizzie

:rofl: Seriously, too funny!

Moondance

:))  :)) hahaha San - very funny!!

sanmagic7

thanks, kizzie and moondance.  glad to provide some chuckles for a change! :hug:  :hug:

freelancebaby

sanmagic7

that's too bad, freelancebaby, but welcome anyway! :hug:

Kizzie

Interesting isn't it that there seem to be a few of us with IBS - I wonder if it's related to our trauma? 

sanmagic7

kizzie, yep. my T actually told me that her trauma survivor clients have a lot of inflammatory problems - mine come in various forms - and this is one of them. 

here's something i found from Harvard Medical School:

QuoteIt can be triggered, for example, when you are exposed to toxins, and by other causes such as chronic stress, obesity, and autoimmune disorders. In these cases, instead of moving in, healing the problem, and then returning to normal, the inflammation persists over time. It's thought that this chronic state of inflammation can lead to numerous health problems, including heart disease, arthritis, depression, Alzheimer's disease, and even cancer.

so, chronic stress leads to chronic inflammation, which in turn can cause IBS.  my opinion: we've all experienced chronic stress, which i think has been overlooked too many times as something not only serious but dangerous. Not only have we been stressed thru our physical, mental and emotional injuries, but during the aftermath as well. That's way too much stress to be dealing with, and difficult to diminish, let alone return to normal levels.  so, our bodies take the hit.

i've long thought that cancer could be a stress-related illness. i'm not surprised to see the rest of those illnesses on the list, and gut health belongs there, too.  trauma is the gift that keeps on giving, so to speak. ugh!

Kizzie

The ACE study in the 1990's was the first big study to link treaumatic stress to the top 10 leading causes of serious illness and death so those in medicine know about the link, but they don't seem to act on it as you would expect them to. And I personally have never had a mental health professional link my trauma to any of my illnesses (cancer, IBS, etc).

It's why I want to put something in the book we're writing - that is, medicine and mental health professional MUST get it in gear, recognize that you really can't split the mind and body (which they do), and treat the whole person, psychological and physical because they are inextricably intertwined.

OK rant done, phew.

Are any of you who have IBS receiving treatment for it?

Fraying

That was funny!

I, too, have IBS. The higher my stress level, the more frequently I sit on the throne. Not to be too punny, but it's a royal pain, LOL!

Moondance

I'm not treated for it Kizzie. I take Align which makes a difference for me.