The Nuance of Familial Trauma

Started by Kizzie, April 28, 2023, 04:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I just came across this article - good one if you want to drill down into the nuance of familial trauma.

Isobel, S., Goodyear, M., & Foster, K. (2019). Psychological Trauma in the Context of Familial Relationships: A Concept Analysis. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 20(4), 549–559. https://sci-hub.se/10.1177/1524838017726424

Abstract

Many forms of psychological trauma are known to develop interpersonally within important relationships, particularly familial. Within the varying theoretical constructs of psychological traumas, and distinct from the processes of diagnosis, there is a need to refine the scope and definitions of psychological traumas that occur within important familial relationships to ensure a cohesive evidence base and fidelity of the concept in application to practice. This review used a philosophical inquiry methodology of concept analysis to identify the definitions, antecedents, characteristics, and consequences of the varying conceptualizations of psychological trauma occurring within important relationships. Interactions between concepts of interpersonal trauma, relational trauma, betrayal trauma, attachment trauma, developmental trauma, complex trauma, cumulative trauma, and intergenerational trauma are presented. Understanding of the discrete forms and pathways of transmission of psychological trauma between individuals, including transgenerationally within families, creates opportunities for prevention and early intervention within trauma-focused practice. This review found that concepts of psychological trauma occurring within familial relationships are not exclusive of each other but overlap in their encompassment of events and circumstances as well as the effect on individuals of events in the short term and long term. These traumas develop and are transmitted in the space between people, both purposefully and incidentally, and have particularly profound effects when they involve a dependent infant or child. Linguistic and conceptual clarity is paramount for trauma research and practice.

Synthesized Definitions From the Literature

Interpersonal trauma -  Encompassing both the act and the effect of trauma; identified as traumatic injuries experienced due to threatening, uncontrollable and unexpected events caused by other people (Horowitz, 1986), usually a known and trusted individual such as a relative (Cohen, Hien, & Batchelder, 2008). "Events" encompass a range of acts of maltreatment, interpersonal violence, abuse, assault, and neglect experiences (D'Andrea, Ford, Stolbach, Spinazzola, & Van der Kolk, 2012)

Relational trauma - A subtle cumulative form of interpersonal trauma that particularly occurs within important attachment relationships and induces chronic unpredictable stress (Schore, 2001); not restricted to certain events but rather the effects of dynamics and circumstances upon individuals (Chong, 2015)

Attachment trauma - Based on attachment theory and the lifelong impacts of early attachment relationships (within the first two years) on the development of self and safety (Allen, 2013; Tassie, 2015); must occur within relationships where there is a close emotional bond and a significant degree of dependency, usually between an infant and primary caregiver, where the infant or child experiences the primary caregiver as abusive, neglectful or emotionally unavailable (Tassie, 2015). May also occur due to adoption, parental death or other disruptions within early childhood (Becker-Weidman, 2006)

Betrayal trauma - An effect of an event; based upon a theory developed by Freyd, who defined it as "trauma involving a sense of having been fundamentally cheated by another person" (Freyd, 1994, p. 308). More recently clarified as being perpetrated by someone close (Gobin & Freyd, 2014), as well as trusted or dependent (Platt & Freyd, 2015) and subsequently the distress level of the trauma is amplified by the impact on the developmental tasks of attachment and individuation (Martin, Cromer, DePrince, & Freyd, 2013). Often refers to intrafamilial sexual abuse (Gobin & Freyd, 2014)

Cumulative trauma - Several episodes of trauma exposure; sustained, repeated or multiple and commencing in the childhood years (Cloitre et al., 2009). Often involved a sequence of similar or dissimilar traumas that happen across the lifespan (Kira, Lewandowski, Somers, Yoon, & Chiod, 2012), with severity increasing with the number of different trauma types experienced, not the total number of traumatic incidents (Martin et al., 2013) and resulting in a complexity of presentation.

Developmental trauma - Makes an important distinction between the cause and the effect; identifying that the trauma is the lasting vulnerability as a result of adverse relational experiences that occur within the first four years of life (Friend, 2012) or ongoing traumas occurring over several developmental periods (Bremness & Polzin, 2014) which impact on development. A theoretically driven construct, which refers to a potentially traumatic relationship between the child and caregivers that impacts development often through a disavowal of the child's affective needs (Schimmenti, 2012)

Complex trauma - Refers to the effect that results from cumulative co-occurrence of different types of trauma typically beginning in childhood (Cohen et al., 2008); usually repeated or chronic (Aideuis, 2007) interpersonal events (Naff, 2014), most often perpetrated within the caregiving system or by other adults who typically are expected to be the source of security, protection, and stability (Courtois, 2004)

Intergenerational trauma - The process by which elements of parental traumatic experiences are passed on to the children of the next generation (Bradfield, 2011). It is debated whether the trauma that is transmitted is a replication of a parent's trauma, a response to familial trauma or a predisposition or susceptibility to further trauma but may manifest as a unique entity in the offspring (Baranowsky, Young, Johnson-Dougles, Williams-Keeler, & McCarrey, 1998). Initially, was identified as a traumatic event that had ended but continued to affect later generations, however, now includes both historical, and at times continuing, traumatic experiences that affected more than one generation with understanding of the complexity in the causation, mechanism and effects of trauma impacting family members across generations (Schwerdtfeger & Goff, 2007)
[/i]

Moondance

Wow, thanks for sharing this Kizzie.  This will be very helpful.

Bermuda

Check. Check, check, check.
Check, check, check, check.

Bingo!

Moondance

And we both won at bingo today!  :)

Kizzie

Not a bingo game anyone wants to win hey!?   ;D

I had one-to-one therapy yesterday and my T was honest enough to tell me she had learned from me - wow, that was lovely to hear.  She now uses the term and approach of relational trauma with clients because it just makes sense that if we suffer (mainly) from relational trauma, then relational therapy is likely to go a long way with us in terms of healing/recovery. I love that she is not afraid to become involved with us (I also have group therapy with her) whereas most psychology professionals seem to feel that some degree of distance is necessary or desirable or at least that's been the case mostly with me. 

Armee

Oh that's so wonderful to hear Kizzie.  :hug:

Bach

I think I have all of these.

I keep misreading the title of this thread as "The Nuisance Of Familial Trauma".  Which is almost funny, but not quite.

Armee

It made me giggle, Bach. But no these things aren't funny. I almost can't imagine that any can be separated from the other. Because for all (?) of us, yes this list is a perfect bingo.

Kizzie

OMG Bach that is too funny (and true sadly)   ;D

Bermuda

Bach, I like your misread.

It's not a bingo anyone wants to win. I do find myself chuckling through the tears lately.

Not sure if the dominos all fell in a sequence or if they were never even set up.

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on April 29, 2023, 02:43:04 PM
I had one-to-one therapy yesterday and my T was honest enough to tell me she had learned from me - wow, that was lovely to hear.   
:cheer:   :hug: