How to understand what is wanted, needed in work situations

Started by Gromit, January 03, 2023, 07:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

I have a casual bar job, only job I seem to be able to get aside from my self employment. It has been ok, it is just casual, and not what I want to be doing, I am just doing it for experience and to show I can work on my CV.

In my last shift, several times when I had to move down the bar the manager made a comment about me spilling a drink or being in the way.....again. Enough to get on my nerves. I thought maybe I should say something. What came to my mind was, 'do you mind not doing that?' I tested it out with my partner, teenager and they said no, that was too confrontational. I am thinking now I should not say anything.  But, something a therapist said in the past haunts me, 'why do you continue to let people treat you that way?'

As I explained the situation to my partner and teen, they said, well, it is only for experience until you get something  else and, their advice for other interviews was 'tell them what they want to hear'. The problem is, I have no clue what they want to hear. I tell the truth, I try and answer the questions and tell the truth. I am not capable of BS.

G