Article 'Understanding and Treating Survivors of Incest' by David M. Lawson.

Started by Hope67, August 22, 2022, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

I just started reading a little of this article, and must admit I wasn't able to continue to read it just now, as I am feeling too many feelings, but I wanted to put it here, as I think it's a helpful article, and I'd like to come back to it another time:

It's called 'Understanding and Treating Survivors of Incest' by David M. Lawson, and he wrote the article in 2018 in Counseling Today.

https://ct.counseling.org/2018/03/understanding-treating-survivors-incest/#

Hope  :)

Kizzie

Armee

Thanks Hope, I'm just seeing this post and it's a good article. Stressful, yes. But something I feel like I could show someone to explain.

dollyvee

Thanks for sharing this Hope. I found the Betrayal Trauma Theory valid for me where we will forget about things to protect the betrayal by the parent because we need/depend on that attachment to survive. I think it explains a lot.

Papa Coco

Hope,

Thank you for sharing the article. It's a good read. I admit I got halfway through before I couldn't focus anymore. I dissociated. So, I'm going to give it a rest and come back to try and read the rest of it later, or tomorrow. The term Betrayal Trauma is right on point. Being betrayed by the people you want to love and trust (parents, relatives, clergy), makes life so much more complicated than from being attacked by a stranger off the street.