Everything I Learned I Learned Before Kindergarten

Started by paul72, May 06, 2022, 04:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul72

Don't cry

People are scary, especially the ones who love you

Life isn't fair, so don't expect it to be.

Avoid sleep, nothing good comes of it

Say you're sorry often.

Home is never a safe place to stay.

Keep busy. Idle hands are the devil's workshop

Find great hiding spots

Learn to keep your mind busy; entertain yourself.

There is danger everywhere, be on high alert always

Don't be loud.

Obey your parents.

Take responsibility for your actions.

Dreams are scary

Trust no one.

littlebluejay

Thank you for sharing this Phil. You got me thinking... what things did I learn before kindergarten that have stuck with me until today? To be quiet, to not ask for anything, to be perfect, to pursue peace at all cost... the list could go on. Of course there are many good things I learned, but you're right, our earliest experiences often feed into our behaviors and thought-processes decades later.

Thank you for sharing this delicate piece. Here's a hug if you want one  :hug:

Not Alone

I could relate to many lines in your poem. I wanted to write a counter-poem: The things learned before kindergarten in healthy families. Most of those would come from my imagination and from parenting my children.

Kizzie

Yes, thanks for sharing this Phil, it perfectly captures what I learned too.

It's why I think educators and others miss the fact that not all traumatized children have visible bruises, debilitating anxiety, negative behaviours...   Many of us are taught to be independent, silent, "good" children.  We get by until we don't, often in our adult years when it all catches up to us. Our symptoms (i.e., hypervigilance, mistrust, etc) tell the tale of what we went through.

paul72

I like your additions littlebluejay. A group piece would be pretty awesome really.
Quote from: littlebluejay on May 07, 2022, 04:47:18 AM
To be quiet, to not ask for anything, to be perfect, to pursue peace at all cost... the list could go on.
Those are really good ones!!! and thanks for the hug  :hug:

Not Alone, I'd love to hear your counter, coming from your parenting. What a beautiful thing it would be to read. I wish you the happiest of Mother's Days  :hug:

Thanks Kizzie for your validation. I'm sorry we learned these things.. and that it's so hard to unlearn them. A gentle hug if you don't mind it  :hug: