Anxiety and OCD?

Started by Wisteria777, September 17, 2021, 03:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisteria777

Hi all,

I have always suffered from anxiety,  but now I'm starting to wonder if I might have some OCD, and how the two might be related. Long story short, I basically can't stand to have anything left hanging. If something needs to be done, I want it done NOW. I like to plan things such as trips in as much detail as possible. This has served me well in my career because I cannot stand to have a project outstanding. I like to get it done!

My husband, and in fact his entire family, are all the exact opposite. They wait till the last minute on everything, and always have a sense of flying by the seat of their pants, but yet they (mainly the in laws) refuse to relinquish control. An example: a few years ago they wanted us to go on a weekend trip with them to celebrate their anniversary. They had been talking about it for a year, but we didn't know where we were going or even the exact date until about a week beforehand. And we didn't even know the address of where we were to meet them until we were leaving to meet them.

My husband has slowly begun to realize that he needs to make some concrete plans in advance, or else my anxiety will be triggered hard. And I've tried my best to let a lot of things go, but now I'm wondering how much of this is triggered by trauma. I grew up in a home where you never knew exactly what was going to happen. Literally, someone could bust into the house during Sunday dinner, drunk and wanting to fight. How do I let go of my need to control, and my anxiety over things I can't control? The serenity prayer is my mantra, but it's so hard not to get triggered.