What's in a Name Part 2

Started by Kizzie, January 31, 2021, 06:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bermuda

I love the meaning behind your name. I imagine she is a good friend.

BillB

Why BillB?

I was adopted by my stepfather. My mother fed me a bunch of lies about my real dad and I grew up accepting he never wanted to know me. I didn't find out the truth until after she passed. I still don't understand why no one in the family told me the truth about him. I guess no one wanted to cross my mother. Anyway, several years after mum passed, I plucked up the courage to try and find my biological dad. That's when I found out the truth. I found a whole new family (half siblings I never knew I had). I went back to the UK and spent 2 glorious weeks getting to know them. Sadly, dad had passed several years before I found them, so I never got to meet him.

I've forgiven my mother and my family for the lies. In honor of the dad I never knew, I bought him a gravestone, and I write under his name (he was an unpublished writer), and my username in this group reflects that. It just seemed appropriate.

And I never realized how writing that brief explanation would make me feel so emotional!

Steve (I prefer to be called Steve; it's just feels too weird otherwise)

Kizzie

That's tragic that you didn't know the truth about your F, I'm so sorry.  It's wonderful that you've found a family you didn't even know you had though.  I love that you are honouring him by writing under his name. Hug if that's OK  :hug:

Canotia

My name Canotia comes from the plant canotia holacantha.  It is a beautiful green plant with red flowers. Instead of leaves it has thorns and is also knows as Crown of Thorns.  It is beautiful but dangerous.

colicmel

Just a play on the word melancholy, ive been depressed since i was a small child, so it seemed a good fit and was available.

tofubreadchillicoriander

While visiting Seattle, USA for work I went to lunch with teammates to a Vietnamese restaurant where I ate for the first time a delicious tofu Banh Mi. The bread was so fresh (the ingredients as well) and crispy, I just loved it henceforth the username. I'm also a picky foodie. Nowadays I get close to what I ate back then by eating a salad with almost the same ingredients.

whs

my username is from the initials of the place where I experienced the majority of my traumatic experiences.  Were I learned that this world is never a safe place.

sehaneg3

Sehaneg3

I chose my name to honor my 3 children. ❤️ Ive used letters from each of their names to spell my username. I want to heal so that I am more present with them and not so overly obsessed with my own pain and thoughts in my head.

sehaneg3

Steve...thank you for sharing your story. Im sorry that the truth was kept from you. I think you paying homage to your father is a nice gesture.

Crash45412

The 'Crash' bit is after the book 'Crash' by JG Ballard, one of my favourite books of all time. The numbers at the end are just random lol.

SamwiseGamgee

I chose my user name because Samwise is really the hero of Lord of the Rings. And because he represents for me a light when all other lights go out. If you know you know.

SamwiseGamgee

Hi SecretsOfTheHeart I absolutely adore this series.I just got done with The Narrow Road Between Desires. I just love Bast. Looking forward to Doors of Stone.

wlfpck00

My username actually used to be my aol username back in the day when you had dial up and I was in high school and was playing soccer -- it was my life then -- really a true coping skill to survive the abuse I was endearing. But, I was graduating in 2000 and our mascot was the wolfpack so I made the username wlfpck00 so I thought I would keep that as my username for this account. It was available and I haven't had the aol account since dial up stopped and I went to college. I have loved the sport of soccer and even played in college. It has been my saving grace truly.

Meetingmyself

Trying to pick a username was stressful for me! Why? Who knows, something about make it make sense, don't pick something stupid, don't pick something too long if other users want to reply using my username! Anywho, I'm realizing more and more that it's hard to differentiate who I actually am vs who my symptoms make me think I am. So hence: meetingmyself. I figure it would be nice to stand in front of the mirror and know without a doubt who the person looking back at me is one day. 🤞

Blueberry

Quote from: Meetingmyself on February 05, 2024, 07:21:53 PMTrying to pick a username was stressful for me! Why? Who knows, something about make it make sense, don't pick something stupid, don't pick something too long

I can really resonate with this kind of stress.

Welcome to the forum, Meetingmyself :heythere: