New to Group

Started by Aryianna, March 06, 2015, 09:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aryianna

Hi everyone.  I found this group by doing searches on PTSD.  I've never heard of C-PTSD till now, and I believe that I fit the description.  I am a survivor of abuse -- mental, physical and emotional.  Numerous traumatic events happened over extended periods of time during childhood, teenage years and adulthood.  I am now in a healthy situation, however I continue to easily be upset by triggers.  I am more aware of PTSD now and can more quickly identify it when it's happening, but having awareness does not lessen the very uncomfortable feelings (which are overwhelmingly dark at the time and seem like they will swallow me up and never leave).

Since this is my first time here, I look forward to familiarizing myself with this support forum and meeting other travelers on the road of healing.  Thank you for having this site.

Phoebes

Welcome, Aryianna!

I too am new here, and am finding a lot of great information and support here.    :hug:

Kizzie

A big warm welcome to you Aryianna  :hug:   Those feelings you describe are really uncomfortable I know, even when you know what they are about and why they are happening.  A lot of us struggle with that, the emotions that well up when we are triggered and that feel so awful.  There's quite a bit of information here about ways of calming or soothing yourself, but one thing you may find helpful right away is to read and try "!3 Steps to Managing Emotional Flashbacks" at Pete Walker's site http://www.pete-walker.com/.  He is a therapist who also suffers from CPTSD and he talks a lot about allowing ourselves to work through these feelings from past trauma, to process and integrate them so they do not continue to knock our feet out from under us.   

Please have a look around the site and when you are ready, post in any of the forums which seem relevant to you and your situation. So glad you found your way here  :hug: