The Use of abused dogs to help heal CPTSD?

Started by shadow, January 26, 2015, 06:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow

Thought somebody might be interested....

There is a surprising link between the fear issues we all experience and the fear issues a dog displays when the dog has been abused.

There is also a link between the therapy that helps us and a the new form of training called positive reinforcement....

There are many benefits to mutual healing....based on understanding one another.... fear is universal after all.

Food for thought any road..... <3 (it was my dog who alerted me to the fact I was having DID's  ;) )

Kizzie

I've seen therapy dogs for PTSD but not with CPTSD although it makes perfect sense given we do suffer from emotional flashbacks and dissociation. I would imagine the training for the dog would be similar - sensing stress/dissociation and helping to bring the person back into the present. 

That's really interesting that your dog alerted you Shadow - what did s/he do?

shadow

Hey Kizzie

Im only just figuring this all out myself....but......my dog was abused I myself rescued her from an impossible life. I couldn't just walk away.. I took her through the pos reinforcement training over the 3 years that my flashbacks etc started. Just what seemed like out of the blue she started showing a fear of getting in the car. I thought it was a brake issue. It got out of hand....she really objected more and more. I started leaving her at home more....had the brakes fixed everything replaced....still objected.

Next she started yapping in a high pitched voice....which always startles me and I feel angry at her. Tell her to stop. I knew she was communicating something but I had no idea what.

Then my daughter started to notice that I was dipping out and looking frightened....

I started to notice that quite often when she yaps at me Im pacing madly in circles dazed.....

So just recently intrigued by a question put by a dog trainer regarding if fear could be reinforced.....it got me thinking.

So I checked out the next time she was yapping and Im totally not aware of anything until I hear her yap.....it brings me back to the present. When I then got down to her level she immediately made forehead to forehead contact..... and it was pure magic.....but I like dogs.

So I traced it all back. There was a time I was out on a dog walk and I must have 'disappeared down the rabbit hole' because I suddenly did not have any idea where I was. I was as scared as any child who is so lost but not quite bawling. No lie she took me by the hand.... teeth holding me gently and firmly and made me follow her and did not let go until I was more relaxed....

Lots of little things that all point in the same direction.

So tonight I have done some further investigating, and found one interesting lady on facebook via dog leads.... (no pun intended....) who has figured this out already. I haven't yet formulated what I want to ask her yet.... but she definitely knows its therapy and has an interesting programme going on...

Its called the k9 dog project if anyone else is interested.

:hug:

C.

That is a beautiful story.  I love how animals can reciprocate so well and repeatedly.  Love and affection from you to your dog and she was there for you when you needed her.  Truly a "win-win."

I think this topic is fascinating.  So simple, right in front of us to see, but only if we have our eyes open to the possibility.

I always "joked" that if they would allow my ADHD son to have a dog at school he would excel.  School policy wouldn't allow a therapy dog for emotional needs, just physical (deaf or blind), yet I'm convinced it's an untapped resource as well.  And there's also a lot out about the therapeutic benefits of those with autism and other disabilities riding therapy horses.  We spent a couple of years volunteering at an animal shelter and it was wonderful for both of us.

Your point about positive reinforcement training is also so important.  I read a book called "What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love and Marriage."  Great and fun read with a lot of the content that you mention.  Those of us living with cptsd are already so sensitive to negative feedback and/or "advice" so this really is an important tool to help to "reprogram" us therapeutically and relationally in order to have self-esteem and joy in our lives.  Just give us positive feedback on our strengths of action & character, and ignore the negative (we're already overly aware of it anyhow).

I am so happy to hear how your dog helps you and brings you all joy.

Trees

I feel like abused dogs and I are kindred souls.  And though being around people is very stressful for me, I find myself soothed by the company of dogs.  My companions in life now are a couple of old throw-away shelter dogs.  One of them definitely has PTSD.  I've had previous dogs with CPTSD.  All adopted after they had been discarded by others.  Loving these dogs, with their fears and angers and confusion, is really fulfilling for me.  I suppose it is one of the few effective ways I am able to give love and compassion to myself, by loving them.  I was just a throw-away kid in life, so I feel very close to throw-away dogs.  They are grateful for a safe harbor in this world, and somehow that makes me feel safer, too.

shadow

Im glad others find this interesting.....I was scared to mention it....but wow....talk about reinforcement! Ok .... I have spoken to an assistance dog trainer and she says there is lots a dog can be trained to do to help us....so watch this space. As the info comes in I will put it up here! And its all pos reinforcement!

There is something that is worded as though the dog gives us a deep pressure massage......anyone else suddenly got their ears pricked up? (IM LOVING THAT THOUGHT) :)

More than anything she now brings me peace of mind. The DIDs terrify me. The range of possibilities that could happen whilst Im on lights out nobodies home...but my girl is mostly always with me....I can relax about it because I know she has my back and will bring me back home. I don't have to work so hard to stay focused. And yummiest of it all is she always loves me. Makes me feel worthy of that love.

Kizzie

Wow Shadow, you're onto something here for sure.  I love that your dog makes you feel safer when you dissociate and brings you back into the present. And what's better than coming back from the fog to the unconditional love and affection a furry friend can give?  It's a very positive reward as you say so I would imagine your brain will start to make some new connections like "It's OK to stay present because I am loved and I love in return"  - good for you, good for your dog, a win-win relationship.  It's kind of like doggie CBT lol - stimulating different areas of the brain and getting out of those old negative brain grooves our IC slips us into. It probably is a kind of deep brain massage - I'd be really interested to hear what you find out.

OK, going to hug my dog  ;D

fairyslipper

Love this thread and will be following. So much positive here. Thank you Shadow  :hug:

shadow

Im wondering now If those who also have themselves abused dogs in their household....can you now please consider that your dog is more than just a faithful companion and that he is maybe trying to help you as you have helped him.....and observe for signs of his compassion at your 'trigger moments'. It will/would be interesting to know what other behaviours present themselves in the dogs .... my dogs yapping can be moulded into gently nosing me if I prefer..... some other possibilities that you may not have noticed before...... your dog or dogs running around you in an excited state of arousal...possibly mistaken for 'play with me'....basically attention seeking.

Positive Reinforcement for those who haven't had any exposure to.... relies heavily on the individual (dog world speak.....handler) making a 'connection' with the dog cat chicken any sentient being...... born out of trust and compassion, and then the entity will do anything that they are required to do based on free will, knowing that he will be rewarded with something good at the end of.

Its powerful stuff....and to do it properly requires you to examine body language of both the dog and yourself. Knowing that you effect each other in your reactions.

Unfortunately for me I didn't view the situation as I was an issue.... at the time when rehabbing my dog, but I did notice that my body language never matched the words that came out of my mouth. This would mean the dog would do the opposite of what I wanted her to do because dogs are particularly in tune with body language.

Its 'ethos' for the rehab of the abused and fearful dogs, is to slowly at the dogs pace build up his/her coping mechanism to the factors which trigger fear episodes. This is achieved by changing the association into a more pleasing experience via the use of food, favourite toy or praise/love. I guess in our case....we would have to suffice with a self reward of a snoopy dance or something :) something that makes us smile a real smile without fail.

Positive reinforcement like I say ....works on chickens even lol! whales..... so why not us?

shadow

Well I have discovered that its not ever been done...

But we can train/have Assistance dogs and that they can be trained to respond to our fear episodes. They can help us in many ways.

There is no reason that we can not use the techniques used on fear issues for dogs on ourselves by the use of reconditioning our thought processes. Its a question of how. Its a bit more complicated than a dog. Where as its easy to keep a dog away from the moments that trigger him, and work him in slowly at his pace by teaching him ways to help him cope....we don't have that option for us. The demands of life throw us in the deep end immediately without warning....for me anyway.

So there we have it. My Doctor says.....yes yes but Im not hearing the words....me first. lol.

Point taken.   :doh:

So head down and back to work .... on me  :blink:

Kizzie

Hi Again Shadow - Sorry I didn't get back here sooner but work kind of crept up on my again.  Anyway, I had a quick look for Canadian sites (since I live in the Great White North  ;D) and found this one, the Cdn Service Dog Foundation -  http://servicedog.ca/.  There's a good section here  -- http://servicedog.ca/programs/service-dogs -- regarding service dogs for PTSD and other disorders you might want to take a look at. If you read about the president of the foundation it sounds like she has a service dog herself for a mental health issue so she could be a good resource to help you find out more about all this. 

blergish

My rescue dog Rev has been a huge help to me in dealing with myself compassionately. Rev is an 8 year old basset hound mix who was abused and abandoned multiple times by multiple owners. My partner and I adopted him over a year ago and through positive reinforcement we've been able to help him overcome a lot of his issues. Watching Rev learn to trust us, and begin to be a confident dog again has been so amazing for me. I can relate to a lot of his issues, fear of strangers, lashing out, fear of abandonment, panic at small noises or changes in routine. Because it is easier for me to have compassion for others rather than for myself, I was able to see those things in my dog and react with compassion and love. Then later when I noticed myself behaving similarly to him I would finally understand that I deserved compassion and love too. One of the sweetest things about him is how we help each other through panic episodes. If he gets distressed because he hears another dog barking I go over to him and distract him by asking him to do tricks or play with his toys and then pet him and talk with him until he calms down. When i'm having a flashback or dissociative episode he comes over to me and headbutts me until I pet him, or he will cuddle with me, or lick my face. Just yesterday I was having an emotional flashback and pacing around the apartment cleaning maniacally and I only noticed how upset I was because he started whining at me and following me around the house. When I stopped to check on him, he licked my face and put his paw on my chest and tried to climb in my lap (all 70 pounds of him lol). I really love that we help each other and are in tune with each other's emotions.

Kizzie

Wow Blergish, thanks for posting about Rev - I love the fact that you are helping one another and I see more clearly what Shadow meant about that.  I was more thinking of dogs who are trained as therapy dogs, but this is a very powerful way of learning (and loving) for both person and pet.

There are a lot of animal lovers here so you are in good company.

:hug: to you and Rev!