Question about Job App

Started by Phoebes, May 18, 2018, 02:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Do any of you mark "disability" in the section on the new job apps that ask and state that things like depression and anxiety count as a disability? I applied for a new job yesterday and said "No", I do not have one of those disabilities (I've never been diagnosed), but I most certainly have the worst depression and anxiety of anyone I know at times. I've always struggled in jobs dues to this and the insomnia they can cause.

I didn't want to start off a potential new work relationship with this cloud hanging over me. Known as the one with a "disability" when it's really normal reactions that anyone would have in my situation. Reactions I am slowly overcoming on my own terms. I don't want to get sucked in to the traditions "diagnosis" and labels of things, and the inevitable innocent suggestions of therapy and drugs.

It does concern me though. The thought of the stress of this new job, and what if I DO fall into some insomnia, anxiety and depression? I want a new start with new people, and an opportunity to do better now that I understand myself more, and to handle things in a way that I don't have to ask my superiors to understand that I have a "disability".

I'm feeling a little dishonest, though.  :stars:

Deep Blue

Phoebes,
I never put that I have a disability because I do not feel I have one.  In my opinion I have an injury of the mind. I am diagnosed with CPTSD, panic disorder, and depression.

I do not feel you are being dishonest.  New jobs can be a stressful time and may bring up some triggers.  With that said, triggers are probably something you have dealt with most of your life.  (I know I have). During those times it's not that I am disabled but distracted. Hope that makes sense

Good luck
Deep Blue

Phoebes

Thanks, Deep Blue. I agree. I don't think it is a disability. I don't even know why they call it that. Probably because of previous court cases or some logistical stuff. It's NOT a disability though, but a normal reaction to danger and stress. I have had depression and anxiety become debilitating at work before though so I hope I know more now and can manage myself better, if I get this new job.

Rainagain

In the UK workplace a disability is anything which is long lasting (1 year or more, generally) and has a significant impact on some aspect of your work.

When an employer asks they mean a disability as defined under the Equality Act 2010.

But I agree that declaring a mental health issue is best avoided, at least until you have passed the probationary period in a new job and are permanent.