CPTSD and DD study

Started by Little2Nothing, March 21, 2024, 11:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little2Nothing

I am part of a year long study on complex trauma and DD. My therapist agreed to do the study with me. I watch videos, answer surveys and have written work that takes about 1 to 2 hours a week. This has been a very interesting study so far.

Right now my goal is to keep track of my dissociation, try to recognize the triggers and practice mindfulness and anchoring. I have a worksheet marked out in 15 minute increments so that I can record any incidents that I have. My new goal is to set an alarm for every 15 minutes to deliberately practice mindfulness and anchoring. I haven't started the alarm part yet, but am going to give it a try. Although it might turn out to be too tedious to do consistently.

The goal, I assume, is to be practiced in grounding enough to be able to use it in the event of dissociation. I am really early into the study so I don't know how effective it will be. I will say that so far it has been helpful and I have used the techniques to stop or come out of dissociative states.

The website is topddstudy.com. The stipulation for being a part of this study is your therapist must agree to work on it with you.

NarcKiddo

That sounds really interesting. Please keep us posted on how you get on.

I had no idea until recently how much I dissociate - but then I did not really know that I did it at all until after joining OOTS and learning more. I have noticed for some years that I try to avoid driving and that I really, really dislike having passengers, because I feel the need to give myself a running commentary on road conditions and prefer to do that out loud. I've realised now that I do it because I try to dissociate when in a car (which is obviously dangerous if I am the driver!) and the running commentary keeps me present.

Little2Nothing

I plan to post an update in a couple of weeks. 

Kizzie

Love to see more studies and resources like this at long last.  This kind of research will give us evidence based strategies and models so no more relying so much on PTSD studies which were incomplete at best and ineffective at worst.  Would love updates, tks.