ASMR

Started by samantha19, July 16, 2017, 01:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samantha19

Just thought I'd put it out there that I find ASMR videos really helpful for calming down and relaxing fully. There's some specifically made for people with PTSD too. I find them helpful when my anxiety is at an ultra-high or I'm having trouble getting to sleep.
The video's seem really weird at first - someone whispering into a camera or whatever (it's about making noises that give you tingles in your head, which works for some - myself included - but they're also generally comforting, attention-focusing and soothing) but yeah, they do really work for me and lots of other people.
Thought it was worth a shout out :) anyone else have experiences with this?

JayDubs

Pardon the delay on the post.   I was one of the original people trying to get this named.   Somehow w/in less than two decades it has become something else.   Haven't had any ASMR to speak of for 5 years.   Used to be a 2 times a week thing.   I am wondering if it any others experience it?  It is absolutely beautiful.   The most connecting force I have ever experienced.   Wondering if it might be related to childhood trauma.

AphoticAtramentous

Honestly ASMR unsettles me, but that is just me. I find the concept of someone whispering into my ear, random sounds being made, kind of a threatening thing. "I don't know this person, I don't know what these sounds are." That sort of thing. I just feel so confused, so much nonsense I try to make sense of. Haha, it's more work than relaxing. But yeah, that's just me. If it works for you, that's cool.
If I need something to listen to, to get those "tingles", I play music or listen to rain - something that is predictable and soothing. 

JayDubs

AphoticActramentous... Everything you mentioned would unsettle me too.   Like I mentioned in a previous post..I haven't had one in a long time.   It really wasn't something I could force.  Someone who was intently focused would cause this or maybe someone doing something for me.