PTSD triggered after surgery

Started by LittleBird1948, June 16, 2018, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBird1948

Hello, I am not sure that I have come to the right place. I know I have PTSD and have known since the 1970's when people started talking about PTSD. I recently had major surgery and had major complications. During one ER visit I had a series of very bad memories come back to my mind. Now I am healing from the surgery and am seeking help with managing the ongoing string of thoughts regarding these past incidents.
If any of you can direct me to the best place here, or elsewhere on the web, I would appreciate it. I have been through an awful lot and keep wondering if I will hit a wall soon but somehow I keep kicking that wall away and surviving.

Kizzie

Hi LittleBird and a warm welcome to OOTS  :heythere: 

Surgery is traumatic and can bring up memories from the past to be sure.  If what you are remembering has to do with abuse (physical, sexual, emotional), neglect or abandonment you are likely in the right place.  There's quite a bit of info on our web pages about what is Complex PTSD (which is different than PTSD) and the symptoms if you want to have a read through that and if it resonates.  E.g., PTSD has three symptoms whereas Complex PTSD has six.  Complex typically involves ongoing, interpersonal trauma (abuse), whereas PTSD generally relates to shorter term impersonal trauma (accident, crime, disaster).

See - http://www.outofthestorm.website/symptoms/.