Self-Care Suggestions

Started by M.R., December 21, 2017, 03:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.R.

So, I've been in a bad place for the past two-two and a half weeks, and what I've always done isn't helping. I don't even know exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm fairly new to the idea of EFs and so I don't know if that's what this is. All I know is that I feel really depressed and I have a lot of other emotions/thoughts racing through me.

I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions for what self care has helped you. Or that you use now. I'm going to have to read about it also.

Thank you.

MR

songbirdrosa

I find that what helps me the most is kinda doing the opposite of what I tend to do when I'm down. Example, if I've been in bed in my pyjamas all day, I'll get up, give myself a really thorough head-to-toe clean and put on some nice clothes. Or if I've stayed at home for a few days, I go somewhere scenic for a long walk.

I think self care is a really specific thing to you, because what makes two people feel good can be entirely different. But try whatever you can until you find your niche :)

Three Roses

An EF happens when something reminds you (this can be unconscious) of a past traumatic event. Not only is your mind effected, but your brain and body too.

There are steps you can take to counter an EF. See Pete Walker's website - http://pete-walker.com/flashbackManagement.htm

Blueberry

Check out this self-care guide http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=6024.0 I find it really helpful and easy to use!

DecimalRocket

Hmmm . . . Here's a list of different things I've tried in the course of my life as well as from others I've heard. Though, I'll omit the ones I don't think apply to the general population — because I have some out of the ordinary ideas of relaxation. (ex. Math, thinking of traffic in the city, obsessively analyzing the situation etc.)

1. A challenging hobby you love to make you feel like you achieved something.
2. EFT — a technique of tapping different parts of the body to touch meridian points fo emotional healing.
3. Meditation.
4. Relaxing music or whatever music you find enjoyable — from metal rock to the classics, from jazz to country, anything.
5. A story.
6. Relaxing visualizations — imagining you're somewhere relaxing like on the beach or near a waterfall.
7. Talking to someone.
8. Journaling your emotions.
9. Comedy shows.
10. Taking a walk.
11. Yoga.
12. Hypnosis videos on Youtube.
13. CBT — challenging negative thoughhts.
14. Yoga.
15. ACT - Acceptance and commitment therapy.
16. Grounding technqiues — techniques to lessen dissociation.
17. A nap.
18. A healthy snack.
19. A not so healthy snack (in moderation).
20. A comedy show.
21. Those news sites where every single piece of news is something positive.
22. Expressing things in music like dancing or singing — even if it's just humming what you're feeling.
23. A soft pillow and a warm blanket.
24. Reading experiences you can relate to.
25. Hitting a pillow or the bed when you're angry.
26. Lovely aromas.
27. Going outside to nature.
28. Even looking at a picture of nature helps.
29. Gratitude journals.
30. Wonder journals.
31. A collection of inspiring quotes, videos, pictures or books.
32. Thinking of a memory you enjoy in life.
33. Reading philosophies on happiness.
34. Internal Family Systems Therapy — where different parts of you communicate.
35. Voice dialogue — where you become aware of parts of you.
36. VIA Strengths — making use of your strenghts for greater self confidence.
37. Inner Child — nurturing and protecting the younger you that never was.
38. Puzzles — self care for your mind.
39. Shadow Work — Accepting parts of you you deny.
40. Mantras or chanting — where certain sounds made from the voice resonate into certain parts of your body, releasing tension in certain areas.
41. The martial arts — Fighting it out in an accepted context does a lot to express anger safely.

I could continue for a lot longer than that, but that's all for now.

Etc.

M.R.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'll have to write these down so that ill have them and then slowly but surely get down to a list that works for me.

MR

Kat

One thing I've learned from my somatic experiencing therapist is to visualize running as fast, as hard, as far as you can.  Run until you can't anymore.  I usually visualize running up a trail into the mountains.  I also usually visualize someone/something chasing.  I never look back to see what it is.  Once I get to the top of the mountain, I visualize myself collapsing and resting.  This helps put the body through a wave of emotion that helps balance and regulate the nervous system.  At least for a time.

As she explained it, you take yourself all the way through the emotion from start (trigger/ef) through the fight/flight instinct, and finally to collapse/escape.  When we were young, we experienced the first two phases, but were never allowed the collapse part or the win/escape.

Can't hurt to try.  I've found it useful at times.  I wish you well.