Regulating feelings by games and watching series

Started by PeTe, November 09, 2017, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeTe

Thanks all, for sharing. I needed to hear this today. I'd been doing this again a few days, before I finally managed to pull myself out of it a few hours ago. Basically, I was doing some mental escapism, from the perceived dangerous world - all the while staying alert, of course. Now, I'm able to relax, and I feel better with myself, even though I'm sad, afraid and feel worthless. It's heartbreaking to feel that I'm not able to handle life. However, I'm managing those feelings ok, right now.

AphoticAtramentous

I play games a lot, mainly because when I'm playing a fictional character, it seems that their problems are so much easier to fix than my own - and fixing their problems makes me feel satisfied and accomplished in some way. So I enjoy strategy games, roleplaying games, things that engross me and let me ignore the outside world.

PeTe

That's kind of similar to me. I enjoy the clarity of the rules, so that it's really easy to tell whether I'm fixing it or not. It gives me a sense of safety, that I'm able to deal with «dangerous» stuff in the games. I used it to escape the outside world when I was bullied. Now I'm escaping my inside world of hurt feelings.

LittleBird

Not really able to calm my thoughts like that because any escapism seems to influence my thinking at the moment. Even good stuff, I'll find too funny and end up crying after. I'm exhausted.

RedRat

I know what you are going trough. I have been there too some years back. Pointless grinding in WoW for 16h a day.
Yes games can be addictive, no doubt about this.
But more than often it is rather the mental state you are in and what you are playing.

Games are not alcohol. They are more like Netflix or Youtube. It's like the difference of hanging on Youtube for stupid prank videos or do something healthy and watch the Spartanlifecoach: not the same thing at all. So I agree with the statements above. This guys explain why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T39kYzzv_3Q

By the way, if you love gaming but you are afraid of addiction, how about doing table top or pen and paper (online or RL)? Have fun playing with some strangers with little obligations or strings attached. Also, a rather indirect way to interact with people but personal enough to discourage the annoying trolls that populate MMO's :bigwink:

PeTe

Restful - it sounds like you're in a bad place. I hope it's a sign that you're working through some tough feelings. It sounds as if your feelings are stronger than usual, both too funny and really sad. No wonder you feel exhausted.