Dizzy when trying to get out of dissociation

Started by BlancaLap, November 24, 2017, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlancaLap

It's been almost one year since the first time I get out of my dissociation. What I do, is to focus on one point of the room, and I try to not think about anything while I say to myself: "this is real, this is the present, this is now". It has been a while since the last time I could get out of dissociation, but now whenever I try, it's like I feel super dizzy, like I feel I will faint. Anybody can relate?

Kat

Mine seems to go the opposite way.  I feel lightheaded/dizzy just before I switch states and/or begin to dissociate.  I've also not experienced a dissociative state that lasts as long as you describe...unless I was simply unaware of it.  Interesting.

LittleBird

It might help to try and stabilise your body (sit down, lay down), just so that your body has a chance to relax?

Three Roses

I can totally relate, this was happening to me, too until I realized I was holding my breath during some EFs. Breathing exercises helped me; taking fewer inhalation and more exhalation send signals to your body that danger is passed and you can relax. More here:
http://www.anxieties.com/57/panic-step4

BlancaLap

Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the advices Restful and Three Roses.
And Kat, I already hate me for not being able to get out of my dissociation... your comment doesn't help, although I know it isn't your fault, it made me feel like I SHOULD be able to get out, but I don't

Kizzie

FWIW I actually think I was in a mild to moderate dissociated state for a good part of my life.  It's like I was present but twice removed for much of my life and is the reason I have "Swiss Cheese" memory.  I think it was Sweet Sixty who wrote in her personal story that although she had a good marriage and children she loved, it is only since she started to recover that she could really connect with all the feelings she has/had, past years were somewhat fuuzy or distant if that makes sense.  Anyway I could really relate. 

I never had the experience of dizziness or lightheadedness, but must admit if I stayed 'out" too long at first I would become exhausted, so fatigued I would pass out for an couple of hours.  I still have to be careful I don't overstimulate on being present.  It may be that the more often you do come out of your dissociation you will feel less dizzy (i.e., takes practice perhaps  :Idunno:)?

BlancaLap

Kat

Oh, my gosh, BlanaLap!  I'm so sorry about what I said.  Believe me, it wasn't meant as an insinuation that you're doing something wrong or that what you're experiencing isn't valid.  Not at all, I was just meaning that maybe because what I experience is different, it might mean coming out of it would be different as well. 

After reading what Kizzie had to say, I'm thinking that what I was referring to in myself wasn't exactly what is being discussed anyway.  My dizziness comes when I switch states.  Sometimes when I've started to switch states and "go somewhere else" as I try to explain it to my therapist, she'll state that I'm starting to dissociate.  I think that's why I'm confused.  I can totally identify with what Kizzie says about her "Swiss Cheese" memory and feeling twice removed from her life. I know that I've been disassociated from my feelings forever. 

Anyhow, again, I apologize for hurting your feelings.   

BlancaLap

It doesn't matter Kat; I know that's not your fault and it's not what you ment, but thanks for the apology, it really means something to me.