Started by Kelrod3313, September 06, 2017, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelrod3313

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I found just found this forum today because I had a HUGE mental breakdown last night that felt like it could have been the end of my life if I didn't have such good friends to help me out of it. I grew up with a sociopathic mother and I just recently started going to therapy for that amongst other things, but the most prevelant thing I am beginning to realize is I definitely have abandonment depression. Last night, I overheard my best friend hanging out with someone else and it killed me inside. It brought me back to feeling worthless and disposable and like nobody could ever actually care for or like me. I felt like I was the most sad and uninteresting person on the planet and I didn't know why. After reading through everyone else's posts on here I am starting to realize this isn't uncommon. What are ways you guys use to get out of that mindset?

Three Roses

Well, I tried to move just this post here and succeeded in moving an entire thread! Sorry everyone, I hope I put things back the way they were.  :whistling:

Hello and welcome to you Kelrod! We welcome you with open arms. Sorry for any confusion my moving things around has caused, but i wanted to put your first post in a spot where i was hoping it will get more views.

That abandonment depression is the worst! Sends me right back to a time and place that is VERY painful and unhappy. One thing i have done is to go around my place, touching things that people have given me or pulling out greeting cards and re-reading them in an effort to make my brain realize i have not really been abandoned just because someone is absent. This feeling can descend on me literally within minutes of being on the phone with someone! It's important to know it's not just you and is largely an involuntary thing that is happening inside the brain - https://www.gostrengths.com/what-is-an-amygdala-hijack/

Anyway, you're welcome here and I hope you will find the same sense of belonging and validation that I and others have found in this community! Hang in there, we are with you.  :hug: