Hi, I'm new here

Started by Tea TIme, September 05, 2017, 09:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tea TIme

Hello there,
Been stuck in depression for several years, and at this point I just feel broken and hopeless. I don't work or go to school anymore. I'm in treatment 7 days a week and I don't know why I can't move forward with recovery, it seems like I should be making some progress, but if anything it feels like I'm backsliding.

I was raised by parents with untreated emotional/personality disorders and experienced abuse in my young adulthood (not by family).

I've had multiple different diagnoses (major depressive, general/social anxiety, ED, Bipolar II, ptsd) and I'm not sure if I have a combination of disorders, or if it's just symptoms of the c-ptsd. I've tried a dozen different meds, which never seem to work, as well as other treatments and programs, but I'm still stuck.

I'm 23 and I can't even shower on a regular basis. I don't have friends because of a number of personality issues brought on (ironically) by my fear of rejection/abandonment. I know that social support is a huge factor in recovery and I worry I'll never gain a sense of community, and therefore will never recover. Glad I found this forum though :) Nice to know I'm not alone.

Three Roses

Hi, Tea TIme! Welcome to the forum.

This community has been an eye-opening experience - I never thought I'd find a group of people who could understand me, and were like me. Having a shared language with others is the key, for me. Here I learned what emotional flashbacks are, and how to manage them.

Together our voices make more impact, so thanks for joining!
:heythere:

Ps. I moved your post to this area where I hope you'll get more responses. ;)

Boatsetsailrose

Hi tea time welcome it is good.you are here ,,
The forum is such a good source of learning and support for me
What.i have learnt this past yr is to be self.compassionate ...
I know it is frustrating and a fearful.place to be in when recovery seems stuck and not going anywhere but know that things will start moving again and sometimes they are but we can't see it clearly
May I ask.what treatment you are receiving ? I have just started some trauma work

Blueberry

Welcome Tea Time  :heythere:

Quote from: Tea TIme on September 05, 2017, 09:46:26 AM
I'm 23 and I can't even shower on a regular basis. I don't have friends because of a number of personality issues brought on (ironically) by my fear of rejection/abandonment. I know that social support is a huge factor in recovery and I worry I'll never gain a sense of community, and therefore will never recover. Glad I found this forum though :) Nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm nearly 50 and I can't shower on a regular basis either! We're neither of us the only ones in this state on the forum. There have been threads about this and threads about not cleaning teeth properly etc before. I don't mean to invalidate what you wrote or dismiss it at all, I just want you to know that many of us here will understand you with these struggles, even if many people without CPTSD don't.

You will probably find huge support on this forum, most of us do. Although that's not Real Life, it's certainly a good place to start opening up to people, regaining trust, even just coming on to say 'Hi'. I've built up a fairly good support system In Real Life (IRL) but in order to be really understood in my daily struggles with CPTSD as well as validated in the progress I make, I have to come on here.

I have a long history of therapy behind me, years and years of working on myself in therapy and in between therapies, in and out of inpatient treatment, feeling I'm backsliding or at best 1 step forward and 3 back etc. But now that I'm finally in trauma-whatchama-call-it therapy with a therapist who seems able to work with me, things are finally moving toward some form of healing.

You're definitely not alone here. I hope to see you around the forum.