Personality Disordered Care(?)takers

Started by alchemist, June 07, 2017, 11:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchemist

Hi,
New here.
I have recently been triggered by reengaging with a Narcissistic family member and as was no surprise to Me she was up to her pathetic usual games.  I had an issue with my bank account and I am with friends at a National Park so I called to try to solve the bank situation-
TERRIBLE emotional consequences.  I have been NO CONTACT and reengaging has been VERY abusive so much so that it caused me to lose my footing and be vulnerable to an unfriendly person at the National Park who took advantage of my vulnerability and became abusive.  I ended up in tears. 
I know this would not have happened had I not engaged with the personality disordered Narcissist.  It shook me up-the usual lie that she had helped with the situation , her triangulating my mother getting her involved which I tried to avoid. It basically was a complete nightmare. And I love myself and know that I was shaken from the experience of dealing with this pathological individual.
A lot of Youtube videos have really helped me and books to see that this response is a defense mechanism like any normal defense response and this person is dangerous.  I know now there is NOTHING worth contacting these individuals over-no-thing. 
I guess I just wonder if it's only the youtubers out there or if people on this forum can identify as victims of Narcissitcic or anti-social personality disordered individuals.  They seem to have developed these character weaknesses by the time they were 8.
I am really glad I made the decision to go NO CONTACT and I realize it was the right decision and that I will not be shaken so again so that I am vulnerable to the manipulations of other predatory narcissists out there and like the President , there are many.
You live and learn.

clarity

Hi Alchemist

For me it is about learning how to bounce back and recover from the blips when I am knocked back.  So keeping my focus on my own needs and improving my resilience should they crop up... which realistically is likely, as they are pretty much everywhere!  The N/C is wise, but I don't want to end up psychologically hiding in a hole somewhere in avoidance for the rest of my life.  Would rather become 'narc-proof'... so that is what I am working towards.... finding Pete Walkers book really useful right now.  :thumbup: