Attachment Therapy

Started by solongStockholm, February 13, 2017, 02:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solongStockholm

Anyone else try this for their CPTSD? It's working so well for me and particularly appropriate because I have a young child so I want to ensure I don't repeat my attachment patterns ith get

radical

No, I've heard of it but I'm not sure how it works.
Are you able to describe it a bit?
thanks

solongStockholm

I think each therapist can implement in their own way (mine uses the modality of art and talk therapy) bu she comes from the stance that her clients have a ruptured attachment in early childhood. We discuss early childhood trauma and I grieve those losses. It's super validating.

Saule

There's definitely a recognition of early attachment injuries in the work I'm doing with my therapist, and a focus on recognising, understanding and repairing those injuries. A number of therapeutic modalities are used to do this, but attachment issues are an overarching theme. My therapist is also a clinical family therapist, so I think an understanding of attachment is part and parcel for someone with that background and training.

meursault

It's slow going, but that's the perspective my therapist works from, and it is the only thing I've ever found helpful.  We jump around with the details, though.  IFS, normal talk, inner child, mindfulness, art, bits of CBT, whatever.  She moves around as I work through things, but it's always attachment therapy.  I occasionally feel guilty thinking I'm sabotaging our work when we set one tool down, but she says that it's COMPLEX trauma, so the solution will be complex as well.

She doesn't do EMDR herself, but hooked me up with an EMDR therapist as a supplemental tool.  That didn't work out, but right now, she is looking for other things as well.