How do I stop dissociating?

Started by abcdefghijohnnyz, January 30, 2017, 04:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abcdefghijohnnyz

Hi,

I really don't know what to say aside from what it says in the topic. I'm basically lowkey to highkey dissociated all the time. I'm really sick of feeling like I am seeing my life through a fog, watching and listening to myself without feeling a sense of connection to my body, struggling to emotionally connect to loved ones, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

rosemarie

One thing a therapist taught me I found helpful was focusing on the physical senses.

I had to name three things I could see, three things I could touch (and focus on the tactile experience, like soft, smooth, bumpy, rough whatever), three things I could hear, you could do this with smell and taste as well if your in a place where that works. But those three seem to be enough.

Also, focus on your body, like the feeling of your body against the surface supporting it, or feet on the ground, etc. A lot of times with trauma and dissociation parts of our body are numb so that was weird to figure out but interesting.

I also found yoga really helps me get in my body because they teach you to go inward and experience physical sensations. If a yoga movement class feels like too much there is this super neat thing called Yoga Nidra that is a body sensing practice where you are just focusing on different parts of your body and what they feel like. The "iRest program for PTSD" by Richard Miller really helped/helps me and you can download the practices and all you have to do is sit/lay there while he talks. It was made specifically for PTSD and has tons of research behind it too.

You could also look up meditations on youtube for "progressive muscle relaxation" which is similar and free!

Thanks for reminding me what I need to do myself, I was asking myself the same question earlier! (seriously)

PhoenixRising2015

Quote from: rosemarie on January 30, 2017, 05:09:38 AM
One thing a therapist taught me I found helpful was focusing on the physical senses.

I had to name three things I could see, three things I could touch (and focus on the tactile experience, like soft, smooth, bumpy, rough whatever), three things I could hear, you could do this with smell and taste as well if your in a place where that works. But those three seem to be enough.

Also, focus on your body, like the feeling of your body against the surface supporting it, or feet on the ground, etc. A lot of times with trauma and dissociation parts of our body are numb so that was weird to figure out but interesting.

I also found yoga really helps me get in my body because they teach you to go inward and experience physical sensations. If a yoga movement class feels like too much there is this super neat thing called Yoga Nidra that is a body sensing practice where you are just focusing on different parts of your body and what they feel like. The "iRest program for PTSD" by Richard Miller really helped/helps me and you can download the practices and all you have to do is sit/lay there while he talks. It was made specifically for PTSD and has tons of research behind it too.

You could also look up meditations on youtube for "progressive muscle relaxation" which is similar and free!

Thanks for reminding me what I need to do myself, I was asking myself the same question earlier! (seriously)

Great response Rosemarie.  Mediation has really helped me too, mindfulness in particular.  Focusing on the physical senses, being aware and paying attention.  The body scan is great when I'm having a hard time falling asleep as well.    I've been having some hard days lately and have been having a hard time focusing on it so you're reminder is good for me too  :)

I haven't done much yoga but it's something I have been thinking about. 

abcdefghijohnnyz

Thank you so much. Lots of great suggestions to try.

mamato3

Quote from: rosemarie on January 30, 2017, 05:09:38 AM

This is exactly what I did today when I started experiencing a panic attack today w/ disassociation. It really did work, though I was completely exhausted after.

TraumaChameleon

I am new to this site. So, please excuse if this info is already here. However, I have found a great deal of relief from dissociating lately by directly focusing on the panic, the tics, the pain or whatever comes up that might be a signal that my body is trying to process (and maybe why it started dissociating to begin with all those years ago.)

A book has been particularly helpful to me (recommended by my therapist) called "The Body Keeps The Score" by Vanderkook.  It goes into tremendous detail regarding the spectrum of dissociation and all the parts and pieces one might experience while dealing with these confusing "people" that share space with us in the same body. I'm not saying that everyone who has dissociation has full blown DID, but I have noticed that, in myself at least, there is significant confusion-- particularly as you decide to face what is going on with you and do the work consciously to get better. It is the hardest thing I have ever done.

I prefer audiobooks so I purchased it on audible. Well worth it. I'm on my second listen now. I hope this helps.

Three Roses

Love that book! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

womangum

Hi,
I am feeling very isolated and like I'm in a fog as well. I've been here before and dragged myself out but too much too often has pulled me down again...enough about me, though:
All of the above things that everyone here has so kindly suggested do work: body scan meditation, focusing on the things you can see, touch and hear, gentle yoga and so on. Every one of them has an effect. Sometimes it takes a while to notice but oh please try them. And they are all available online. Check out 'Full length gentle yoga class for beginners' and Jon Kabat Zinn 'body scan meditations'.  And "The Body Keeps the Score" is excellent!
I just wanted to add one more thing: Self-compassion. Dr. Kristen Neff has a site called "Self-Compassion". There are exercises and meditations and I have found them to truly help me to re-connect with myself. Also, there is a 5 minute guided self-compassion meditation on a free app called Insight Timer. I just write 'self-compassion' into the search and it comes up. It is led by Lisa Abramson and I find it can be powerful.

There are times when this self-compassion work guts me out since re-connection means FEELING again and that means feeling everything, good and bad. And some of the pain comes from realising how unkind you have been to yourself. But since you are practicing that kindness in the moment, it also has a soothing and healing power. Please make sure you have the privacy and the uninterrupted time (and maybe some tissues). Of course, this doesn't happen every time and may not happen for a while.

But please know that your pain and numbness are a result of you trying to keep yourself alive...proof that your inner self loves you, even though you are disconnected from it. You are worthy of love and connection. You are enough. :) You deserve to come out of the fog. All the best to you. :)

mourningdove