Skype Therapy

Started by no_more_fear, January 26, 2017, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_more_fear

Hi everyone,

I'd mentioned in another thread that I partake in skype therapy and Kizzie asked me to post about it, so here go's. If anyone wants to put this thread in another section of the forum, by all means do.

I started skype therapy at the end of last year after a I found a therapist who seemed suitable via a google search. We've had twelve sessions so far and I'm finding it worthwhile. I'm a freeze type and also disabled, so my fear is pretty bad. Skype therapy has helped enormously with this; my fear is reduced because I'm not actually in the room with the therapist. I also feel a lot more freedom to speak truthfully as I can just slam the lid of my laptop down if I feel uncomfortable!  ;D I also feel more freedom to argue with things I don't agree with as there's no physical threat.

The relationship with my therapist has not been impeded by the fact we're not in the same room. In some ways I would say it's better because I'm more relaxed.

Before the session I still feel all the usual symptoms of anxiety and go into flight mode and can't sit still, but the good thing is that this isn't as severe as when I attended therapy physically.

I still have trust issues and haven't been able to show much of my authentic self yet, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to eventually. I think I'll be able to do that more quickly than if I actually had to be in the room with someone. When I was physically in the room with a previous therapist I went through * because I was so scared, so this process is definitely less stressful. My T lives a long way from me which also makes me feel safer. As you can tell my main priority is safety and this is where skype therapy has the best advantage.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.