Distractions With Movies

Started by BeHea1thy, November 22, 2014, 10:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

One of the things I do to distract myself is to watch movies; on TV, Netflix or Amazon. I am inevitably drawn to "murder mysteries." This has been going on for the last couple of years. It started out with some of the oldies, like Columbo, Hawaii 5-0. Then it moved on to Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch), a small detour into Criminal Minds (too gruesome) NCIS, (sanitized with humor) now it's BBC time with Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Inspector Lynley. Right now, I'm caught in the grips of Henning Mankell's Wallander. (Scandinavian)

When I try to analyze this all I come up with, rightly or wrongly, is that I want justice, and I want someone to find and punish the bad guys. I also am drawn to figuring it out beforehand. Mostly I'm wrong, but like a story in which there's a surprise ending: along the lines of "things are not what they seem." (isn't THAT the truth?!)

Is anyone else caught up in this besides me?

Whobuddy

I can totally identify. I get very annoyed when there are episodes "to be continued". I want everything solved in neat packages.

Sometimes I fear that the characters in shows and movies are more dear to me than the people in my life. They are so harmless because I can turn off the show. Not like in real life.

Brandy

I don't like movies, probably because I find it difficult to only be with the characters for two hours. I love series about crazy people, like The Sopranos, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire. Most good series have at least one nutter to examine and analyze.

I really like seeing "bad people" punished, even if the punishment is way excessive. When I was a child I didn't understand why the Casey Jones character was a villain. It wasn't until years later when I watched a fan made film where a character told him "You can't kill people for ripping off a pack of bubblegum." Ooh! When you put it that way... yeah, I guess that's true. I was reminded of this recently with the real life story in the US, in Ferguson. My Facebook feed was exploding with outraged Americans and I was mystified. I spent a fair amount of time thinking about whether maybe I really am just a huge racist, but I think it's the punishment thing. Of course I know rationally that shoot to kill is not a reasonable response to (allegedly) robbing a shop and then wandering along down the middle of the road, but I need to have that pointed out to me cause I just do not register it correctly on an emotional level.

Kizzie

Hi BH - I definitely relate. I enjoy detective shows but also legal shows, anything where the "bad" guy gets it in the end.

We just watched an Australian series about a lawyer called Janet King - quite good.  We loved Sherlock as well - I see where there's another season of it coming but not until 2016 because Cumberbatch is so busy (as is his co-star - can't think of his name at the moment but he was great in the TV show Fargo). There's a show called Luther that we quite enjoyed. It's a British series about a detective who is a little different. I'll have to download some of the ones you mentioned.

Shows/documentaries that have bullies/thugs/predators who prey on others and don't get what's coming to them trigger me I find (although I enjoyed Sopranos and Dexter).  Boardwalk Empire really bothered me even though it was well done and recently we tried a British show that's getting good reviews called Peaky Blinders. I made it through one espisode, but that's it for that one. 

Anyway, I am happy to let my IC indulge in TV/movies that have a justice theme, she deserves some light dissociation or veg time now and again. ;D

Bluevermonter

A good point about wanting justice for wrongs and seeing the good guys win.  Or maybe theses people have power that you and I don't.

Law and order I enjoy.  "The Bletchley Circle" series is awesome.  The concept that the women have no credibility in re solving the crime is certainly true to life.

Kizzie

Hey Blue - we loved the Bletchley Circle (obviously we watch too much TV lol but I have always loved a good story - tv, radio, books, movies - it takes me away for a bit I suppose)

Rain - we download everything so we don't have to watch commercials - love that  :thumbup:

flookadelic

I love mysteries but any displays of psychotic or similar behaviour are big trigger points for me; except for an amazing film called "Franklin" for some reason I can't give away as it would be a major spoiler of an amazing film. I like ambigous, open endings...happy endings and emotional scenes have me reaching for the hankies in two seconds flat!

Badmemories

Hi All,

I really like the "true" crime stories. I have always wondered about Myself on wether I am sick and perverted. Lol. When I was younger I always read true crime Mags. Now they seem to have more of a story line in them, but I like the ones with more of the scientific plots. I find I do Not like the ones where the killers are women or children.

Lately, I have been trying to watch various other things. I never did like comedy's or musicals. So I have been watching more documentaries. I have been trying to see IF the "crime shows" depress me more??

Pammy Sue wants me to watch more children's shows...I am trying but I say NO to her way to much on that one!

Keep on keeping on! ;) :hug:

Kizzie

Sorry BeHealthy, we've gone a wee bit astray in terms of talking about distracting ourselves, but hopefully we've ended up getting some good discussion about what kind of content grabs or repels us and why as it relates to CPTSD.

BadMemories, there are a lot of really good "children's" animated movies out there like Frozen (I think your GDs loved that one didn't they?), that Pammy Sue would probably enjoy.  We loved "Up" and "How to Train your Dragon" and am going to download the second one when it comes out.  When I watch children's' movies like that I feel like I've taken a deep breath and let go of all the daily grind of grown up stuff.

Last night we watched a movie called "Pride" which is a British film based on a true story about a group of gays and lesbians who supported a year long miners strike in Britain in Margaret Thatcher's era.  It was absolutely the best movie I've seen in a long time and I felt like I was floating on a feel good cloud after I saw it!  Very, very empowering and hopeful and sweet and funny all rolled into one.  Highly recommend it if you need a boost. I know I felt a surge of vicarious pride about our community here at OOTS and the potential we have to raise awareness about CPTSD.