New here - hello

Started by Sprig O Rue, December 20, 2016, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprig O Rue

Hello -

I'm new here, and just recently learned about cPTSD. I am just coming out of an emotional low point (meltdown, really); during which I stumbled upon information about cPTSD.  I don't have an official diagnosis yet, but there is little doubt in my mind that this is the issue that I have been struggling with all of my life. I certainly have had qualifying experiences. I have looked into other things in the past - ACOA for instance; which was helpful - but didn't seem to quite fit me - but when I started reading about cPTSD, it was like reading about everything going on inside me. It's the first time I have seen an explanation (to the eternal questions "why me?" "why do I keep doing these things" "what the * is wrong with me") in which everything seems to fit. 

I just ordered the Pete Walker book - it appears that it seems to be the best starting point, from comments I have seen. I will be seeking therapy after the start of the new year, when benefits from my job kick in. Meanwhile, I hope it is ok to join this community. I will probably have questions regarding finding a therapist & how to approach therapy - and many more.

By way of introduction - since I have chosen a very generic user name - I am male, American, and....eh, a bit older.

Thanks for listening.

Wife#2

Welcome, Rue! Official diagnosis is not required, thank goodness - I don't have one either. And many of us have already crested the 'hill'.

Others who are better skilled verbally will be along to welcome you also. I am, we are, glad you felt safe and courageous enough to begin posting!

Welcome!

Manchesterford

Welcome!  I have found the incredible people on this forum to be so knowledgeable,  caring and supportive.  I feel sure you will find it an excellent resource. Glad to have you here xx

Three Roses

Welcome, Sprig O Rue! We're glad you found us. As has already been said, no official diagnosis is necessary - although my official diagnosis is PTSD, i relate more to having CPTSD; it answers so many questions i've always had about myself.

I think you'll really enjoy Pete Walker's book, but be sure to read it at a pace that's comfortable. He has packed a lot of info into that book! It may take a while to digest it. ;)

Check out the Resources tab and look at the Downloads we have available, too. Once again, welcome, and thanks for joining! :wave:

Sprig O Rue

bring em all in

Welcome, Rue! I'm reading Walker's book now and highlighting something on nearly every page. It explains/describes so much of what I've been through and how I am.

I hope you benefit as much from it! Sharing how the book applies to my life experiences with my therapist is awesome. Identifying my 4f type (freeze/fawn/fight/flight) and learning about emotional flashbacks is already making a difference in my life, but I'm realistic that it will take time and effort on my part.

Welcome to the community where we can help each other out!