Discrimination LGBT

Started by LaurelLeaves, December 12, 2016, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelLeaves

Not directly related to C-PTSD, but still something that I have to put up with..

I was on a plane recently.  A flight attendant didn't want to serve me my drink and cookie.   Out of the whole plane, he planned to "overlook" me.  I can only surmise that he did so because in his eyes I was non-gender conforming.  My hair was off... it's was early... so I suppose I looked more non-gender conforming than usual.  So... I know he probably hates himself, and took it out on me.  But that doesn't make me feel better.  He was just making an example of me, out of the whole plane, that I was not person, and therefore didn't need a cookie.  It's sticks with you... your anger at being treated as not a person.

mourningdove

This is so sad. :( I wish I could give you a drink and cookie. Heck, I'd give you an extra cookie for being gender-nonconforming (not that you are asking for anything extra).

tea-the-artist

what a rotten man! you didn't deserve that at all. I know the feeling of being treated less than human because of identity.. it hurts, but you are definitely a person and the anger you feel for not being treated as you should is absolutely valid!! big hugs if you'd like :hug:

LaurelLeaves

Thank you Mourningdove and Tea-the-artist. 
I'll take your hugs and your extra cookie!  ;D 

Manchesterford

Poor little bigoted man. I'm sorry you experienced this. It says nothing about you and everything about him.

Jdog

Ditto to everything everyone has said.  I have never been treated in that manner, but as a beginning teacher I had th department chairwoman come after me because,"students are saying one of the scienc  teachers is a lesbian, and I know it is you."  She deemed me "inappropriate" - like my whole being was by its very nature flawed.  Grrr.

Hang in there.  You are beyond worthy.

LaurelLeaves

Thank you Manchesterford  and Jdog.
Thank you everyone.  I usually don't talk about things like this.  Maybe I think it's not that much to complain about.   Or that I should just shut up and take it.  Or maybe it's my way of ignoring it... if I don't talk about it, it didn't happen?   

And "Grrr" to that chairwoman too, Jdog! 

sanmagic7

but you did talk about it this time, so that tells me that you are finding more worth in yourself.  yay!  to be ignored like that is disgusting, in my eyes.  how dare he treat you like you don't exist!  or to be singled out as 'inappropriate' like that chairwoman.  what the ding dong is going on with people that diversity isn't celebrated as something that makes us interesting instead of monochromatic!  grrrr, indeed!

Jdog

Quote from: LaurelLeaves on December 13, 2016, 02:04:45 AM
Thank you Manchesterford  and Jdog.
Thank you everyone.  I usually don't talk about things like this.  Maybe I think it's not that much to complain about.   Or that I should just shut up and take it.  Or maybe it's my way of ignoring it... if I don't talk about it, it didn't happen?   

And "Grrr" to that chairwoman too, Jdog!

Yes, GRR to all of those who feel they must impose their ridiculous and wrong values upon others.  There may well be more of this kind of thing over the next 4 years in the USA, and I am "standing on the side of love", as the saying goes.  Love is always more powerful than hate.

Eyessoblue

Wow, that's so bad, in this day and age as well, you must have felt really hurt. Shame on him for treating u like that.

sanmagic7

standing with you on that, jdog!

Jdog

radical

Also standing with you on the side of love!
I love this expression, btw

Jdog

The more of us, the better!!