Walking the Labyrinth

Started by woodsgnome, April 04, 2017, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

I live a half-hour's drive from an interesting place, one which if approached in a relaxed but mindful way, can provide a sort of tactile/meditative experience that can calm and still the mind's incessant turmoils. It was built by a couple interested in sharing something unique and meaningful, an experience that they wanted to share with anyone who comes across its relatively remote location.

Their creation is an outdoor labyrinth, basically a very large circular walking path placed within a forest clearing. While the concept of a labyrinth was once associated with European cathedrals, the origins of labyrinths in fact stretch way back in time and versions were found in many cultures.

At this one, the natural peaceful surroundings are supplemented with Tibetan prayer flags and bells punctuating the normal forest sounds of birds and soft breezes. The couple even built a small hermitage cabin so people can stay there overnight if desired. 

The labyrinth's walking course is laid out with a narrow, small rock-delineated pathway which the walker follows. It's similar to a maze in that you enter and leave at a designated spot. Unlike mazes there's a central destination point in the labyrinth; in this case a huge rock (symbolic of great spirit or wise self or god or some higher power--inner or outer). While mazes can trap you, labyrinths are entered, experienced, and left again. A key to walking the labyrinth is patience--you can see the intended destination, but can't get there directly; the path thus takes dedication to make it to the center and back out again.

Sounds simple and sure--just a giant circular hiking path, but the kicker is that the pattern is broken up with dead-ends, twists, and switchbacks formed by the path, which seemed smooth and easy when you started; but soon you wonder if you'll ever reach that giant rock in the center. The setbacks aren't obvious until one is right on top of the path's turning points. No solid wall prevents your escape, but it's compelling to gather up the strength to make it all the way in, and out.

So what's this got to do with cptsd? If it's not already obvious, walking a labyrinth can be a voiceless but mindful, meditative way of finding one's route through life's unexpected grief and setbacks, where even the simplest path can seemingly go so wrong again. While I've walked this path alone, I've also noticed in groups that certain people can be overcome when they let go and let the message of the trail speak its own wisdom.

It's...different and--if taken on with the right frame of mind--therapeutic. In recent years there's been several of these built around the world. Although they're often considered 'spiritual', whatever that loaded term means nowadays, I've found them unique in how they can reset the mind by imitating life's journey, complete with those unexpected obstacles. In my mind the course's obstacles  can show as real memories, but I'm especially struck by how the experience resembles emotional flashbacks. Even when life seems settled down again, sure enough comes another detour--maddening, sad, and tiring. Picking up the pieces seems like starting over yet again, a desperate stab at stability, discouraging but somehow one plods on.

Yet here's the key--there's always a way around, and through, to the center, when you find the trail again (usually right at your feet, almost invisible). If you've ever walked a labyrinth, perhaps you've experienced the same phenomenon--it's a visual/tactile experience that speaks volumes if approached with one's heart open. It instills its wisdom and hope without a word being uttered. For me, someone given to words and reading especially, that meant a lot.

It speaks to something I've been slow to learn--that love (universal if not personal) surrounds and embraces us, if we can muster up the patience and self-compassion until we find our trail again. 'Stay the course' takes on meaning as one walks the labyrinth and finds their peace again. In that sense this sort of experience takes on far more than mere symbolism.

Wife#2

Just reading your wonderful description of the space and of the experience of the path has brought to me a sense of calm. Thank you for sharing! Thank you for the idea. Thank you for this calm I currently am feeling.