New on site

Started by tyy, September 16, 2016, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyy

Just wanted to check this site out, it was recommended by my. therapist and i am trying to do things that are good for me. I think this could be helpful to me. I dont have alot of friends and limited support right now. It would be nice to learn some new techniques on how to shut off the condeming negative strangers in my head. You see im actually doing rally good things in my life right now but i am scared that im not good enough smart enough worthy and all that jazz. Its a dam struggle moving forward with all the crap in my head it appears tobe a veryangry person in there that i have little or no control over. Its definetly frustrating. Could use some help with techniques on calming the beast. Going to school after many years of giving up my dream and having trouble im going to be able to do it.i get overwhelmed by the stuff.  :stars: Anybodyfeeling mehere.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, tyy!

O boy do we get it! :D Around these parts, that negative stranger in our heads is referred to as the Inner Critic, or IC. There are lots of methods to counter it. Here's something just for starters: http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=2592.msg23410#msg23410

Thanks for joining our community! We look forward to hearing more from you :wave:

Dutch Uncle

Hi tyy :wave: and welcome.  :hug:

Quote from: tyy on September 16, 2016, 10:14:10 PM
Just wanted to check this site out, it was recommended by my. therapist and i am trying to do things that are good for me. I think this could be helpful to me. I dont have alot of friends and limited support right now. It would be nice to learn some new techniques on how to shut off the condeming negative strangers in my head.
We sure hope and wish this site and community will be of aid to you in recovery and "doing things that are good for [you]". We are a diverse community and there are a lot of different techniques that may apply to you (and each of us) personally. There are no universal applicable techniques, though there are some that have been helpful for most of us.
Those are the ones you will see many topics on.  ;)  I can't name them on the top of my head right now.
On a small personal note, I find it encouraging your therapist has led you to this site. It must mean we are doing something right here.

QuoteYou see im actually doing rally good things in my life right now but i am scared that im not good enough smart enough worthy and all that jazz. Its a dam struggle moving forward with all the crap in my head it appears tobe a veryangry person in there that i have little or no control over. Its definetly frustrating. Could use some help with techniques on calming the beast. Going to school after many years of giving up my dream and having trouble im going to be able to do it.i get overwhelmed by the stuff.  :stars: Anybodyfeeling mehere.
It's great that good things are happening in your life as well, and you are able to recognize your part and effort in it to get it that way.  :thumbup: and congrats.
Anger is an issue for many of us, and something that is being talked about here. Feel free to share. There's plenty of room to address that issue here, though I want to point out to you our Guidelines for All Members and Guests that are here to keep this a safe place for you and us. I will highlight the relevant part on anger to you here:
QuoteDealing with Anger

Anger and frustration at your situation is to be expected at times, especially in the early stages of recovery.  However, anger and frustration expressed towards other members can be counter-productive.  [...]
and
QuoteRefrain from offensive language. Swearing is not permitted at OOTS because many of our members were traumatized by abuse which involved aggressive, threatening and/or demeaning language.  Please be considerate and use a symbol mash (e.g., %^&$) instead. A filter has been added to replace offensive words with an *. However, if a word slips by please report the post and it will be edited accordingly.
A good rant  :pissed: now and then can be very cathartic though.  :)

Welcome again,
:hug:
Dutch Uncle

sanmagic7

hi, tyy,  glad you decided to check us out.

personally, i've found this site to be extremely supportive with kind, caring, and non-judgmental people who have welcomed me warmly.  i hope you have the same experience.  it's been invaluable to me in moving forward.

very cool that your therapist recommended you to check this out.  it's one of the best resources i've found for suggestions and tools to help me find my way.  it sure can get confusing at times.

i went back to school in my 40's, and was able to fulfill my dream.  it was scary, i was 'old' by university standards at the time, but graduation was one of the biggest highs of my life.  the fact that you took such a leap of faith in posting here gives me the impression that you will continue on with such an attitude in whatever you attempt, including going back to school.

good for you for reaching for your star.  those neg. angry voices will diminish over time as you continue in your recovery.   we've all dealt with them on one level or another.  i hope you keep posting.

Kizzie

HI and a warm welcome to OOTS Tyy  :heythere:   You have the dubious honour of being our 2000th member so there are LOTS of us who feel you unfortunately.  I hope you settle in and find some good support and info to help you on the road to recovery.   :hug: 

tyy

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome.  I'm greatful for a safe place to share going on with people who understand and don't judge. Gosh someone told me I was negative 90 % of the time after I been struggling to keep things afloat in our lives man that really hurt me.  I have tried to make his life easier for him to accomplish something he wanted to do for while and it just blew me away so I wrote him a really long list of the positive things that I do every day, in my life.  I'm really feeling hurt by that statement. Wow don't really know why I'm telling you this except this is the second day I haven't been able to sleep. I have to work tomorrow and it's already about 1am.

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: tyy on September 18, 2016, 04:53:02 AM
I wrote him a really long list of the positive things that I do every day, in my life. 
Good on you!
It's a good exercise to do in any case, and all you have to do is keep sending that to yourself. If he can't see the positive you're doing, and the positive you are, that's his problem. Not yours.
Which isn't to say it doesn't hurt, or you 'shouldn't be hurt' by it. It bloody well does! Ouch!

:hug:

sanmagic7

i think it needed to come out, that's why you told it here.  personally, i'm glad you did.  when i've done lists like that for others, i've surprised myself.  it makes a difference to see it in black and white.  yet, still some won't see it.  blinders come in all shapes and sizes and perspectives.

here's to some good sleep!  i know it cures a lot of ills.