What do you think? Am I dissociating, I don't know?

Started by judithherman, August 30, 2016, 06:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judithherman

I've been reading Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery..truly an amazing book. I was motivated to start reading it because I'm completing entrance exams for post graduate medicine.
I was diagnosed with bulimia, PTSD, depression and anxiety. However, it is my personal opinion that I have C-PTSD because I was abused up to the age of 12 by my mother (alcoholic and something else is wrong with her)
Anyway,
this thing about dissociation. Two things.
1. I can engage in conversation or listen to someone speak and respond accordingly...or do things as they should be done it seems and not remember or do it consciously. For example I was having a conversation with someone and the whole time thinking about something else and totally out of it, it was so difficult. Then someone....I don't know how I said something about this guys grandfather..that I..didn't actually know until it came out of my mouth and I felt really dumbfounded as to how I knew that and hoped to god that it was right. It was correct...
This happens a lot I think but not as obviously. When I was at school I could never remember certain things happening, like being spoken to in a group I can't seem to concentrate on the words.
2. I often get exhausted..mentally. Especially around people. I find that I go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet...and make sure I completely go to the toilet but I think this has actually been me going to the bathroom to "dissociate" for a bit.

Is this even possible?
Let me know what you think.

mourningdove

It sounds to me like it could be dissociation, especially from what you wrote in (1).

movementforthebetter

I relate to what you have written very much. I do think you have likely been dissociating. I only recently realized I was doing it and what it was called, too.

At work people would give me long and complex verbal instructions and I would forget them immediately. I had to carry pen and paper everywhere and write everything down. It turned out that's my key to coping with work/school dissociation, and I got lucky and realized it on my own. I find it extremely hard to just focus on words. I am a kinesthetic learner so writing everything down helps me learn by doing plus keeps me grounded more in the present. Spaceouts like you described still happen, though.

Regarding no. 1, I think that you must be high functioning because you can carry on a conversation while dissociating. Plus you are almost a post grad in medicine! That's a major achievement while saddled with cptsd.

Regarding no. 2, bathroom breaks are honestly my salvation. I don't think it's dissociating so much in that case as it is giving yourself a break from overstimulation. Maybe if you are going too much or for too long it could be. I didn't know at the time but now that I do I would like to use stall time to take some deep breaths. Maybe that could help you as well.

Good luck with your entrance exams if you haven't already taken them!

Helen

I used bathroom breaks to regulate, to breathe, to regroup or to bring me back.