Quick question

Started by Sandstone, August 28, 2016, 05:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandstone

Hi i was just wondering,
Are all CPTSD sufferers addicts (of some kind)?
And are all addicts CPTSD sufferers?

Sorry if it seems lile a dumb question and feel free to remove if not appropriate

Dutch Uncle

Interesting questions.  ;D

I don't know the answer.
I do have a link bookmarked on addictions (any of them, including workaholism, busy-o-lism, and what-have-you-not) that at least indicates to me that cPTSD and addicts do share some common ground at least.

***possibly triggering*** (the author isn't shy to 'tell it like she feels it is')'
Outgrowing your addiction, 'The Little Book'
I hope this might provide at least an interesting read regarding your questions.

Three Roses

Hmm, good question. I'd have to say, no we are not all addicts, but we all seem to have some unhealthy, self-sabotaging ways of coping, which can turn into addictions unless healing is pursued. Whether it's shopping, mood altering, etc., coping skills become unnecessary and harmful at some point after trauma.

I think all addicts have some pain that they're trying to medicate but I would not say 100% of them have cptsd. Just my opinion tho.

woodsgnome

Sandstone wondered:

"Are all CPTSD sufferers addicts (of some kind)?"  Addictions of all sorts (media, sports, politics, religion, etc., ad infinitum) affect nearly all humans I've ever heard of. I think the CPTSD 'suffering' part can become addictive in the sense of feeling stuck as a victim; but many eventually find some aspect of recovery, it seems, even if it's something simple like sharing stories on this sort of forum.

Sandstone added:

"And are all addicts CPTSD sufferers?" No, given the variety of addictions (sports, etc) noted above.

Just the opinion of a whizened gnome; but in the end, definitions and categories are only pointers to what's really going on within this mystery we call life.

Sandstone

Thank you all for your points of view. I wasnt looking to pidgeonhole everyone bit i have often wondered about it. Of course there are many forms of addicting behaviour and many reasons. Thanks again

Three Roses