TBI+ PTSD +Schizophrenia

Started by Wednesday., July 09, 2016, 11:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wednesday.

Hi.  I've been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but for years I've been told I've got schizophrenia/ schizoaffective because I hear voices and have distressing visions.  This new doctor saidshe thinks my past doctors spent too much time focusing on ridding the hallucinations rather than finding and dealing with the source which she thinks is the multiple ongoing traumas I've had.  When I first met her I was in hospital and hada bad concussion from a lovers spat with my boyfriend that turned into a rough physical fight. As I've had numerous bad concussions from far more extreme forms of violence she speculates it's possible I've retained some level of brain injury.  Not to mention I had Electro-convulsive Therapy (shocks) a number of times and had heavy dosages of meds that left me with memory loss.  The shock therapy combined with the drug Clozaril caused me to have spontaneous seizures on several occasions which probably also led to a level brain damage.   I'm wondering who to listen to and how to figure what's real and what's not but I'm posting on here because I'm wondering if anyone else can relate to any of these kinds of things.  I'm not really looking for help, I'm mostly just tired of being alone with my broken brain.

Three Roses

Hi, nice to meet you!  :wave:

I like what your new doctor is saying. Several people on this forum have posted how they've had to educate their own doctors. It is a relatively new thing, this complex ptsd, or as it's also called, "developmental trauma disorder". Ask your doctor if he/she is familiar with Bessel Van Der Kolk and his work.

Pete Walker's book on cptsd talks about the many misdiagnoses we get from a medical community that doesn't know what to do with us.

I don't feel so alone when I read the posts here. It's good to have a place to talk about our "broken brains" ;)

Hang in there :)

Kizzie

Hi and welcome to OOTS Wednesday  :heythere:   I don't know much about brain injuries but with respect to perhaps having Complex PTSD, you could always get a second opinion.  I would encourage you though to make sure whomever you see knows about Complex PTSD.

As Three Roses suggests, it's relatively new and not all medical or even mental health professionals are aware.  I just had some pre-surgery appointments and both a surgical nurse and then an anesthetist both wrote down PTSD when I said (and then reiterated) that I have Complex PTSD. 

There is a download here that you can take to your doctor(s) - http://www.blueknot.org.au/Portals/2/Fact%20Sheets%20Info/Fact%20Sheet_Health%20Practitioners.pdf and perhaps you can go over it with them.

:hug:

mourningdove

Hi Wednesday!  :wave:

You might find John Read's work to be of interest (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6do5bkUEys). There are also YouTube videos with people like Jacqui Dillon and Eleanor Longden that speak to the possible connection between trauma and hearing voices. So there is evidence for what your new doctor is saying.

Also, I thought that the psychiatric diagnostic manual said that they weren't supposed to give diagnoses like "schizophrenia" to people who had had recent head injuries? Not sure, but I seem to remember that from somewhere.

I relate to your not knowing what's what. I've had brain damage from psych drugs as well as multiple concussions. I don't usually hear voices, but I sometimes hear other sounds that other people don't.

Welcome  :hug:

Sisue

Wednesday, if you pop back on here I would be honored if you would feel comfortable enough to share your experience with ECT.  I, too, had ECT but haven't come across many others who have.  Which is a good thing, actually, as it can cause permanent damage as well as be very traumatizing. My experience with ECT was horrific.