feeling like a failure

Started by tired, December 04, 2015, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tired

I haven't been on in a while. i had been feeling confident in work and i was getting more clients.  i started making a website. i felt like basically i was over that "can i do this" obstacle.

i have a new client who is very heavy and has some emotional issues. she wanted to come in four times this week. her mother questioned whether thats a good idea and i said it's ok but my reasoning was sort of motivational. i felt like if she's motivated enough to come that means she really wants to lose weight and is depending on me. i could have/should have said once a week is enough but i didn't.  i guess i thought she's young and she keeps saying she feels fine and will tellme if she has pain.

anyway today she said her knees are throbbing and i feel like i shouldn't be doing this. one day i feel like i am the greatest thing then the next day i feel like i shouldn't work at all.  i don't think i should be trusted with anything. 

arpy1

hey tired, i hear you, i know it's horrible feeling like this,  it throws everything up in the air and makes it so hard to feel confident.   :sadno: :sadno:  sending you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to encourage you.

don't forget tho, all the times you have had these self-doubt times with clients and it's turned out so much better than you feared.  you are a good and responsible trainer, and you have good gut instincts. so i would think that if you follow what your instincts say with this lady, you will find the confidence coming back.  you are good at this, tired.  i believe that.  keep hanging in there  :yes:  :hug:

tired

thank you
she didn't actually think that i caused her knee pain. she came back the following week and even though her back hurt she scheduled three sessions, came for two of them. so i felt a little better about how i am perceived by her, at least.

last month a client gave me a check and i wasn't sure at that moment if i had offered her a student rate . she paid me the normal rate and i took it and didn't ask her.  i felt weird telling someone oh i have a student rate but you can't have it.  last night she asked me very politely what my rates were and i said oh no are you a student you over paid me.  then i said ok then i owe you four sessions because you paid for four, but paid double. then i realized, i should give her a refund. so i texted her just after she left and said i can refund you what you overpaid and you can pay as you go because i don't expect you to pay in advance ( many people do but i don't expect her to , because she cant afford it).  she didn't answer and at first i thought ok shes driving home then when i didn't get an answer i felt bad.

i feel like i should have said something when she first paid me .  but  i get so so so uncomfortable getting payment. and people always say i don't charge nearly enough even my regular rates.  i go back and forth between wanting to charge whats fair and not feeling like i want any money at all.  if she never paid me i would still trainer her.  in fact ive done that.

last week she told me how i'm a very strong person and she admires me etc .  the client before her always goes on and on about how great i am.  and yesterday continued on about how i'm a great trainer. my client friday said i'm good at what i do.  a client two weeks ago said i'm very resilient.  (I sometimes talk about my personal life).

i just don't know what to think or feel right now. 

i have this chronic feeling of failure and i have to prove to myself that i'm not and it's not possible. i alternate between feeling stupid and feeling maybe a little grandiose.

tired

Finding quiet time to be still - that's a good idea .  When I imagine doing that in real life I panic but I know it works.  I feel like when I've taken time to settle down and reflect things go well.  But sometimes I don't allow that.