Anybody else reading the Suzette Boon book?

Started by no_more_fear, February 03, 2016, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_more_fear

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long-I've been in a really bad place. I've been in serious denial about the extent of my freeze response, finally stopped avoiding and have begun to read the Suzette Boon book-Coping with Trauma related dissociation. It was recommended in the Pete Walker book. I was wondering if anyone else is reading it? It's amasing and one of the only things to have helped me. I can't get a therapist and am so unbelievably overwhelmed with all of this, so was hoping maybe a thread could be started for people who are also reading it? Maybe we could discuss the homework questions that accompany each chapter, per week? Something like that anyway.

Thank you everyone.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dutch Uncle

Hi no_more_fear,

sorry to hear you were in a bad place, but happy to hear you've made it back from there.  :thumbup:

The book itself I have not read, but I like your idea to work together with other members through a specific book.
I myself have difficulty in finding a T as well, and we are not the only ones. So a group/team effort under the 'guidance' of an author is an excellent alternative IMHO, and/or an excellent addition for those of us who are in therapy.

Wishing you the best,
:hug:

mourningdove

I would be interested. Unfortunately, I don't have the book anymore. (It was on loan.) But I've read it, and I thought it was really useful.

Sorry you've been in a bad place, no_more_fear. Good to see you back.  :hug:

no_more_fear

Thanks DutchUncle and MorningDove for your replies. I know I've said it before, but I'm really going to try and stick around this time. I keep attracting the wrong type of people in real life and denying how much they trigger me. That leads to denial in all areas of my life, including getting better. I've made a decision not to begin relationships with anyone untiil I at least have proper boundaries in place.

I'm sorry you don't have a copy of the book anymore, Morning Dove. Hopefully we can sort something out with that. I'm going to contact a moderator about starting up a thread that's framed around this book. The support would be fantastic, especially for those of us like me and DutchUncle who are having trouble finding a T. I'm on chapter 7 myself, but would like to go through the previous questions, or even an assortment of them, discuss the grounding techniques explored etc. I'll let everyone know when I know more myself.

Kizzie

Starting a book discussion thread is a great idea No More Fear  :thumbup:  I don't have the book you mentioned, but I know a lot of people have Pete Walker's book.  Would that be one you'd be interested in working thru?

mourningdove

Quote from: Kizzie on February 04, 2016, 10:51:51 PM
I don't have the book you mentioned, but I know a lot of people have Pete Walker's book. 

Is this not the same book that no_more_fear is talking about? http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=3482.msg20703#msg20703

(I do have Pete Walker's book and think that's also a great resource.)

Kizzie

Well  :doh:  guess I do have that book lol.  I missed the title and just read the one author's name I guess.  Does anyone else have it?

no_more_fear

Kissie,

Thanks for your reply. Should we do the thread here, or would it be more suitable elsewhere? I'm happy to post the questions that accompany each chapter, perhaps on a weekly basis, if that suits? And would a new thread be started each week for the new set of questions?

Thanks so much for this, I can't tell you how much it'd help to have people to talk though the questions and answers with.

Dutch Uncle

Parts of the book are available online, but it's sketchy at best. I may join for the chapters that are online though.
It's not available at any national library here, so I'm out of luck in that department.

I may try to pick it up at a second-hand bookshop (not very likely they have it though). If it's cheap. New, it costs a fortune.

mourningdove

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on February 05, 2016, 04:00:02 PM
New, it costs a fortune.

Yeah, definitely. I was fortunate because my T had it and let me borrow it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had access. Do you have a link for the parts that are online, Dutch?

Kizzie

Hi No More Fear - My concern with just giving the questions/exercises for each week is that there is no context/explanation unless you have the book itself.  That said, as Dutch mentioned, some of the material is available online.  There are three full chapters and most of a fourth here .

We could give those a whirl and see how it goes. How does that sound?

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: mourningdove on February 05, 2016, 07:16:52 PM
Yeah, definitely. I was fortunate because my T had it and let me borrow it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had access. Do you have a link for the parts that are online, Dutch?

Google Books

and on the Amazon page, the first 24 pages or so are accessible: http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Trauma-Related-Dissociation-Interpersonal-Neurobiology/dp/039370646X
(just click on the "view Inside" or the pic of the cover)

I haven't compared the two, but the Google-books page is more extensive, but pretty scattered as far as the content is concerned.

edit: together with Kizzie's link we now have three sources.

mourningdove

Yay, thanks for the links!

And

Quote from: Kizzie on February 05, 2016, 06:32:51 AM
Well  :doh:  guess I do have that book lol.  I missed the title and just read the one author's name I guess.

I did the same thing at first. :)

Kizzie

Quote from: mourningdove on February 05, 2016, 07:44:49 PM
Yay, thanks for the links!

And

Quote from: Kizzie on February 05, 2016, 06:32:51 AM
Well  :doh:  guess I do have that book lol.  I missed the title and just read the one author's name I guess.

I did the same thing at first. :)

LOL, too funny.  I think one of the reasons is that I associate the book with Onno Van der Hart as his is a name I'm familiar with.  That's my story at least  ;D

Tks for the links Dutch - we now have a number of sources if we want to give this a try (and I for one do)!

Dutch Uncle

If I may be excused for only participating on what I can access online, I'm in.  :thumbup: