Impulsive and make bad decisions

Started by tired, November 26, 2015, 03:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tired

Feeling guilty right now. My daughter had a transmission problem and I told her that her car wasn't worth the price of fixing it. At some point she said it has a new engine but I didn't actually think hard about that. So she scrapped it and now has no car and is having anxiety about buying a new one. I feel terrible for giving bad advice. I guess I feel like I was trying so hard to be helpful that I focused more on the feeling of helping rather than the actual situation . Maybe she could have figured it out better than me. I did ask a mechanic friend but I hadn't mentioned the new engine or the fact that she isn't someone who will go get a new car quickly.

Anyway feeling bad about myself and not useful as a mom.

Butterfly

Tread lightly on your heart, I'm sure you meant well. Perhaps your daughter understands you meant well also. It's taken me a long time to step back from being the eternal fixer in my family and it's a hard habit to unlearn. Hopefully you're feeling better since you wrote this and have made some peace within your heart.

tired

I ended up helping her get a new car and she was pretty happy. I told her that she makes good decisions on her own and sometimes better than me, and probably just needs confidence in herself.  I told her that I am a bit impulsive and she said that's good because I take too long to make decisions.  So it ended ok.

Butterfly