Back to the Drawing Board

Started by Atticus Finch, October 24, 2015, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus Finch

:stars: I am new to this site today. I represent a parent of a child "S" (for special) who has a loving family, but experienced very very bad stuff four years ago by another child "E" (for evil) while away from home. Police were involved and all that, but nothing was done and E is footloose and free, but nowhere near. The purpose of visiting this site is to find tips ans tricks to support S and S's parents.

S had two years of play therapy which made a big difference. However, S entered adolescence (over the past 9 months or so), things deteriorated, and the trauma is back in spades. The antidepressants have just restarted, and therapy will begin soon. -But S is dealing with almost constant flashbacks and needs to somehow hold on until treatment effects begin to kick in. S has language processing difficulties but is perceptive when the bad stuff is not so overwhelming. S is constantly disclosing details to parents and safe people. S has begun to seriously slur speech and is in a bit of a stormy fog.

Kizzie

Hi Attitcus and welcome to OOTS.  Unfortunately none of us are trained professionals so the best we can do is offer some insights into our experience with trauma and what we needed as children and adolescents.  Mostly it was for someone to hear, believe and help keep us safe.

I would also suggest keeping stress to a minimum wherever possible (including lighting, noise, etc) and ensure that S gets a lot of rest - the EFs are really taxing and if he is just entering adolescence there are hormones on top of the chemicals of extreme emotions - a potent mix which would be very overwhelming and draining I suspect.

In the end though the best thing to do is to ask the therapist for suggestions so that you have some professional guidance in assisting S.

All the best to you and to S  :hug: