Getting rid of the old stuff

Started by Dutch Uncle, August 27, 2015, 05:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

Madness. I've started on a cleaning spree. I've got so much stuff that reminds me of nasty episodes, toxic people, horrible events...
Why do I even keep this stuff?

Because they were presents. Stupid presents that I either didn't like from the start, or that turned out rubbish: books I didn't like, music I didn't like etc.

Why did I keep them? Because they were presents from people I was supposed to hold dear. Who behaved like jerks, but I couldn't say, admit to myself.

It's grown so bad over the years, decades, that I hardly can accept any gift. I always have the nagging feeling: "Someday you will have to pay them back, Uncle. They'll want their reward for the crappy so-called attention they gave you..."

So I have dumped a whole lot of books I have only half finished (halfway only through sheer willpower, sheer obligation to read the 'gift'.)
I've dumped old crap that were given to me only because 'they' didn't want the old crap themselves, but somehow themselves couldn't 'throw out'. (I also used to get half-empty soda bottles where all the fizz had disappeared, half eaten 'chips'-bags that had gone soft, overdue canned food, you name it. I had to have a huge battle to get 'them' to stop it. Lot's of sulking ensued. Ungrateful me, boohoohoo.)

I really need to clean out my house of all this old stuff. Useless stuff. Stuff I never wanted anyway, stuff I wouldn't buy myself anyway, stuff that doesn't belong to/with me. Old crap.
It's not even MY old crap, it's THEIR  :pissed: old crap!

I'm sick and tired of being the dumpster, the landfill. I'm buried under this stuff.

I need some air. And space to take in the good stuff.

Argghhh!!!. :blowup:

arpy1

Yay, Go For It!!!!! :fireworks: you are worth the best, fill your life with stuff you love :yourock:  Proud of you DUncle.

KayFly

I always donate old books, clothes, bedding, any little trinkets, toys, dishes, to Domestic Violence Services. It will help someone starting a new life. Plus those places have really low funds and such right now, so they are turning away people who need help.

I figure anything helps. Just donated as garbage bag last week of unwAnted clothes, last year about $2000 worth of household items. I had to get rid of alot when I moved, and when I moved I had to get rid of anything that reminded me of my family.

I've only kept a couple things. Ill get rid of them when I'm ready, or maybe it won't bother me as much the more I heal..

Hope it gets better. Good luck cleaning out stuff.

arpy1

actually, i think that's a good point, KF; when my kids were little and we were hard-up i used charity shops, and now i am hard-up again i do again. stuff that carries painful associations for me don't carry any for a stranger who needs a leg-up or help clothing their kids or whatever.

Ha, u cld say it's shopping therapy with a new twist.... un-shopping therapy? :blink:

Dutch Uncle

On the whole I usually find a possible good spot for the stuff I don't need anymore.
Perhaps I'll just leave some of the books in public transport  ;) .

Some of the stuff is REALLY outdated, and should be recycled to something of this day and age. It might even have become a health hazard.  ;D