Talk therapy

Started by Dyess, August 08, 2015, 11:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

I'm pretty new to the counseling world so I really didn't know what to expect. Did a lot of reading on line to get a better understanding of what role the counselor would play in this. I didn't understand how important it was to find a counselor that specialized in trauma was . You are not going to find one that knows that much about CPTSD I'm pretty sure. Since it's not in the DSM there's really no point to educate yourself on it, just diagnose with something close, PTSD, right? But the therapies seem so different. It's not just one event, it's more than one, anytime during a lifetime, and my feeling is this is too broad for most to understand and grasp a treatment plan for. I understand their frustration.
For me it is hard to understand the concept of having to pay someone to listen to my problems and they have no more idea about what to do about it than I do. Trying to be patient though. Mean while I scour the internet trying to find my own solutions, so my contact with a counselor is cut to a minimum. That another problem I doubt I will ever have that warm fuzzy feeling about a counselor, mainly from an experience as a child, plus they are not my friend they are a business associate. I pay them for a service and they provide the service.
Anyway..... my point is there's no guidelines to know what to expect. You can ask them and they can tell you they are experienced in trauma but after a few appointments you realize this is not the case. So....*sigh* is frustrating trying to find help for something no one understands or knows anything about. That why these forums are so important for validation and sharing experiences.

stillhere

Trace,

I think asking a prospective T about trauma or trauma-informed therapy would be helpful.  Yes, CPTSD is a controversial diagnosis, but the controversy continues because clinicians see it in their clients and recognize the limitations of PTSD as an all-encompassing diagnosis. 

Useful, too, would be telling a prospective T what you've learned and what you think you're dealing with.  The reaction you get may well tell you whether this person is willing to work with you as you see fit. 

For Ts who have to get insurance reimbursement, adherence to the DSM is required.  So officially, lots of people aren't diagnosed with CPTSD.  But that doesn't mean a prospective T won't acknowledge your concerns and work with you on them.  It just means the insurance company might have another code on file.  It might not be PTSD but something like generalized anxiety disorder.

If you haven't already, you might review Pete Walker's advice (it's on his website and in his book). 

If I'd come across this explanation before I found my current T, I might have proceeded differently.  I don't think trauma is her specialty.  On the other hand, she's been validating and helpful, so far.

Dyess

I have Pete Walker's book but my T is reading it, or I think she is. Will have to follow up on that. I was impressed that she would even express an interest in it. But that may have been all for show. Who know's.
My first T, and my first f2f T, said she was experienced in trauma therapy. That was far from true. She may have had experience reading the words trauma therapy, but that's about all I could see :)
My PCP files it under General Anxiety I think.
What advice from P Walker, so I will know where to look on the website?
That's what I'm talking about...the DSM doesn't recognize CPTSD therefore the T's are not trained in handling it and it's a very different treatment plan from regular PTSD. So finding someone to treat you is often impossible and that's sad.

stillhere

Not necessarily -- that is, training doesn't depend on the DSM, which changes periodically anyway.  And some forms of therapy (EMDR, for example) are very new, developed since a great many Ts were in school.  Most (I hope) keep up with their field.  Surely, they expect it to change.

I note that my T responded to my bringing Walker's book to her by buying her own copy.  She seemed less than enthusiastic about the book but mostly has implied that it's not news to her. 

His website posting about finding a therapist is here:

http://www.pete-walker.com/findingATherapist.htm

Dyess

It's still like finding a needle in a haystack to find that qualified T.