New to the Forum and Out of the Storm

Started by cmkrohne, July 03, 2015, 04:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmkrohne

I am 58 years old and have recently learned that what I have is C-ptsd.  I have no memory of my life from 6 to 12 years old.  I have been in therapy for 10 months now and will be starting EMDR next week.  I am better, but have a VERY long way to go. 

Trees

Welcome, cmkrohne!  I am so glad you found our site.  We are a group of varied people with cptsd who come together to share our experiences and discover we are truly not alone in this difficult situation.  We all have a long way to go, and we hope to do it in a mutually supportive and compassionate way.

Please look around on the site and see what people are talking about.  Read the guidelines for sharing, make yourself comfortable, and share if and when it suits you.

I personally recommend Pete Walker's book, "CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving", as a warm and compassionate discussion of the many aspects of cptsd.  Some of us do have to read it in bits because we do find some subjects triggering.  Trust your own judgment about what you are ready to deal with.

Good to hear you have a therapist, and good luck next week with starting EMDR!
All the best to you.     :wave:

VeryFoggy

cmkrohne, Hello!  And welcome.  I am so glad you found us.  Take a look around and see what looks interesting and applicable to your situation.  I am so sorry for your memory loss, and I hope that as you explore you will find answers that will make sense to you.

I am 58 too and was just diagnosed in March of this year.  It was a big shock to me but also a relief.  It explained all of these feelings that I was pretty certain no one else was feeling except me.  I have felt them since I was a small child so they were "normal" for me.  But eventually I figured out most other people weren't feeling them. And I had to keep quiet about them, or thought I did.

Anyway I am glad you are here and I wish you the best on your journey.  You will find many kindred souls here.