Sept. 10th and 11th

Started by Dyess, September 10, 2015, 04:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

Today is World Suicide Awareness Day, Sept. 10, 2015.

Also take care of yourself tomorrow, Sept.11th. There will probably be a lot of coverage on the 9-11 terrorist attacks. If you think that might be a trigger for you just be aware.

Dutch Uncle

This thread has brought me an EF. It's OK though.
I want share that EF, but only further below.

But what at first brought me to reply is some good news I read earlier today in the newspaper:
In my country the number of suicides has declined in the past year.  :thumbup:

**possible trigger**
(highlight to read)
In my country euthanasia is legal, under strictly monitored conditions, and under obligation of reporting them.
It made me wonder what the ratio euthanasia vs. suicide is. Its 2,5: 1. (roughly 25 per 100k citizens vs. 10 per 100k)

My uncle passed away two years ago, after a long sickbed fighting prostate cancer. After a first curing, the illness came back five years later (or so), and could not be cured once more, despite multiple efforts.
I went to his home, where he 'lay in state' (sorry, don't know the proper english term for this), to say goodbye to him and his family. At funerals there's usually so little time to say farewell in a proper, attentive manner.
There I got the news his passing away had been 'assisted' by his GP.
His wife and his kids had been present.
The atmosphere in the house was calm, peaceful almost. Yes their was mourning, but no grief. (or the other way around, sorry my command of english fails me in the moment. But I'm sure you'll get the picture I'm painting)
My aunt was the most devastated, but 'OK'. I asked her if they had had support from their vicar in their/his decision. I know my uncle and aunt are religious. I was so happy when she affirmed they had been supported in this difficult call they/he made.
Their children told stories how their father had even made jokes in the morning of the day he would say farewell to his life, his children, his wife and all.
It had baffled them.

I'm pretty sure the path my uncle chose has made his passing so much more bearable for all those affected by it.
And I am grateful this path has become increasingly acceptable by society.

I salute my uncle. Brave and compassionate man. Bye J., thinking of you.

arpy1

thank you for sharing that so sensitively, D/U.  i read it and i found it so beautiful. so glad for you and for your uncle's family that things were done with such grace and humanity.  quite beautiful.

Dyess

DU thank you for sharing that. I totally agree with this concept. I would have rather have my father had gone through a controlled departure than the way he did, alone, without us having time to say our good byes and that we love him.
Same thing with abortions, you may believe in them or not, but at one time women were dying having these back room abortions. If they are determined to do that I would rather they have that done in a medically controlled environment.
Not many welcome death. But I may fell differently if facing a horrible life with no chance of getting better or living a quality of life that I could enjoy. I guess that is why it is sooooo important to make your wishes known and have the legal paperwork drawn up before anything happens. Thanks again for sharing I'm sorry for the EF. This awareness is important to me and I want to support it more when I'm up to it. No one should have to see that from a loved one.

Dyess

DU you are so smart with this computer stuff. that was cool how you had to highlight the text to see it :) It was like magic :)

Lifecrafting

Trace,Thank you.

Yes, DU, how do you do that? I've never seen "highlight to read" before today; very cool.
Your story is touching. Thank you for sharing.
I'm happy for you that you can experience an EF and say "It's OK"; I can't even begin to know an EF until it kicks my butt, let alone say: I acknowledge and deal with it. Kudos to you on so many levels. I like reading your posts.

Dutch Uncle

I've made a post in the technical section on how to use 'beige' text as way to 'hide' possible triggering parts.

On the EF: perhaps it wasn't a genuine one. I'm still struggling with the concept.
Perhaps this was just normal recurring grief over the passing away of my uncle, which was triggered by the subject at hand.
I must say that at the time I felt a bit jealous of his family. They were al so caring, compassionate and respectful to each other. Despite the fact it was a difficult time for each an every individual.
I realized that nothing like that was to be expected if my FOO if we were to get in a similar situation. That made me sad, but at the same time I was happy I was part of this 'scenery', and I felt truly 'tied in', was part of it as a family member. I stayed much longer than I had anticipated, and also well beyond the 'visiting hour'.
It was deeply moving.

I did cry when I typed it up. Both for my uncle, but also for my experience that day, that had a soothing quality to it. And so did my tears today.

Lifecrafting

fairyslipper

:hug: :hug: :hug:
DU thank you for sharing about your uncle and family. What a touching experience. Glad the tears were soothing also.