Horror film triggers

Started by CreativeCat, June 24, 2015, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the-good-one

Any time that I am watching something, if there is too much suspense for me, I will pause it and read the synopsis.  If I deem it to be acceptable, I will finish watching it. 

Same goes for books.  I read the ending, once I know the characters.  I find it too much to be in suspense. 

On the edge of hope

worthwhile topic. :thumbup: I like suspense, but extreme gore and torture I do my best to avoid. It absolutely terrifies me, and I believe that this is my brain's way of warning me that lengthy exposure to it can seriously damage my mental health or even cause psychosis, perhaps permanent. Whenever I've tried to satisfy my curiosity in extreme violence on-screen, I could feel it desensitize my receptivity to beauty ... which is crucial to my existence.

On a logical and intuitive level, I cannot see how horror films contribute to the greater good of humanity. I cannot see it at all. To me they are evidence of a species on the brink of extinction... insanity consuming them from within. In other words, horror films are warning signs that something is horribly rotten at the core of modern civilization.

*rant over!*

Indigochild

I stop and pause too, sometimes have my hand right near the spacebar.
T said to me that the suspense and fear we feel watching horror reminds us of feeling that way as children, its unbearable too much.

Bimsy

I actually like horror movies and games even though they trigger me into panic attacks sometimes.
It is usually action that I can't stand, especially chasing scenes.
Chasing scenes in horror games are the worst, my heart's pounding like crazy and I scream as soon as I get startled.
One time I played "Slenderman" where you are alone in a dark forest, looking for drawings all the while being chased by a teleporting man who can show up anywhere around every corner to freak you out.
I tried playing that game but ended up in tears and hysterical laughter because I was so terrified.

On the other hand I can enjoy being a little bit scared, like how some people enjoy carousels at the fair that makes you feel like you are going to fall.
(Personally I hate carousels nowadays but loved them as a child, now I just can't stand being tossed from one side to another with no control over what's happening).

A really good horror film or game (as I see it) has no chasing scenes or something that should be done in a short amount of time, that sort of thing stresses me out.
But to feel a bit scared and not knowing what's to come makes me feel kind of alive and on edge.
I think I am good at survival stuff where you have to escape and sneak away from someone, I actually did that at a hospital just recently after an operation when I felt that the nurses ignored my anxiety.

Don't know if it's a way of coping with stuff but I like movies that makes me feel something.
Drama is always a favourite, especially old time costume dramas with gentle love stories.
And also terrible documentaries that reminds me of my own childhood, the worse they are the more interested I am.
I think it's the psychological part, I want to feel like I can put myself in the characters shoes and feel what she or he is going through, so hopeless fear and love are my main emotions.
Action, with a lot of fighting scenes isn't for me though, neither are gore and splatter movies.