How do you make money?

Started by Phoebes, December 08, 2023, 05:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

I'm finding day to day worklife more and more difficult to sustain. And I've been looking for what other types of work I could do. I just want to struggle less and be less stressed out with work but I don't know if that goes hand-in-hand with making more money, which is needed. I'm not sure. I feel like I can do it anymore.

Any ideas or helpful paths you have found?

storyworld

I can understand your challenges and your desire for a stress-free (or reduced stress) environment. I don't know what your budgetary needs are, but I've heard of people receiving disability for mental health challenges. I don't know if that's something they do for a period of time or for life. (I'm in the United States; I don't know what options other countries have.)

What are some of your skills and experiences? Maybe that would help us help you brainstorm options (if that would be helpful)?

Blueberry

Phoebes, there used to be an Employment section on the forum, which I can access if I look for a post of my own on it (by searching for a word I know I used on threads there) but which is otherwise not visible to me. I'm pretty sure this general topic came up - how to find work compatible with cptsd. Kizze would know where the section went, I suppose. otoh maybe some new mbrs have ideas anyway.

Armee

I worked for the federal government in the US for several years. In some ways it can be a bit triggering the loss of power and control but overall it was a pretty accommodating work environment. Eventually I couldn't keep working but I worked from 11 years old until 43. There with the feds for 18 years.

I got lucky in that my husband is stable and has a good paying white collar job and inheriting a house in a crazy expensive housing market, so im ok not working. I think about what I want and need when I do go back to work and I need a job where I can just sit alone at home, part time, with flexibility to get my hours in when I can instead of set hours, minimal meetings, and all behind the scenes. Which is the opposite of where my strengths and values lie. So that's sad. I was best at figuring out how to get stuff done and leading a team of people to knock down barriers for the greater good. Now I'm like give me a data entry job and some privacy.

Good luck dear. You aren't alone in reaching a point where it feels too much.

NarcKiddo

It's hard because everything is so individual, and things vary from place to place.

In the UK, if you can get into a civil service type job (local authorities, for example) as far as I can tell, they make it seem quite daunting before you get in, what with performance checks and so on, but in actuality if you get in (and fit in) you have a job for life. The basic salary and benefits are generally on the low side compared to the private sector but the pension benefits are off the scale good.

I have found that the more money you can make at a job, the more stressful it generally is. In my area we have a lot of owner-managed businesses such as shops and restaurants. They tend to pay their staff a little more than minimum wage (which is the usual pay for such businesses) but they are kind and flexible, so staff tend to stay there for years because it suits them.

Phoebes

Thank you all for the input. I guess on paper I do already have a job suitable for cptsd and my skills, training and history. I work from home. It's just they dumped twice as much on me with no extra pay, and as I've become more and more overwhelmed and depressed, I can't picture this for 10 more years. I have said something more than once about this and they just blow me off or respond with. Hopefully it will get better soon. Nothing reasonable.

I am in the US and it seems like when I looked it up, if you were to receive benefits for mental health, you have to have documented a long time of problems, and how the workplace has created them. It's true that that has been a big part of it, but I've never documented or submitted anything. I feel like that's not even an option. My cousin does receive disability for anxiety, and it is nowhere near enough to live on. She is the type who will be at work for two days and blow up and scream and yell and walk out. She compromises by living with multiple family members in a small apartment. I could never do that so I will just suck it up.

I guess I live cheaply compared to others, have a consistent salary and health insurance. My company does not give enough phrase to keep up with cost-of-living increase and in the past year, I just keep accumulating debt, which really bothers me. I have always lived alone and paid for every thing myself, check to paycheck. I feel like if I missed a paycheck, I would soon be homeless. My landlord has not increased my rent, and that has saved me. But that could change. I don't have anything saved for retirement and that is around the corner. I guess I'm just stressing and looking for options.

Armee

Perhaps a federal agency if you can tolerate the onboard process might not be bad then. They've had so much money to spend with the infrastructure act Biden put in place and not enough people to do the work so they've been hiring like mad. There's 1% salary goes into retirement and then if you can contribute 5% of your pay they match dollar for dollar the first 2% I think and 50 cents to the dollar for the next 3%. It's something at least. But the hiring process is maddening.

Bermuda

I don't have heaps advice to give. I just wanted to say that I relate to your struggles, and although I don't have an answer, I do have CV full of attempts at nearly everything. The best I could do was freelance work. It's not hugely profitable, or stable, but it worked when I could work. I never had to explain myself someone else. I don't know how other people do it.

Phoebes

Thanks, Bermuda  :hug: 

That's a thought, Armee..I am open to anything better than what I have although maybe I'm a little spoiled and should shift my thinking.

I thought well if I lose this job spare of the moment, what would I do? Maybe put a note out on Nextdoor, a neighborhood app, that I could dog walk, pet sit interior paint, mow the yard, etc. maybe a mishmash of things but I don't see that having any health insurance. I wish that wasn't a worry.

Armee

I don't really think you need to shift your thinking. Working with cPTSD is very very difficult. I could not do it any more. We push so long and then crash.

But not having retirement and healthcare if you lose your job is scary, which is why I suggested government. The agency I worked at was really nice, like family. Not all are tho probably especially post-covid.

Flitzi

I live in Germany.
I loved my job. I had a lot of responsibility and it was varied, but I also had a heavy workload, had to manage a lot of people and didn't have a minute's rest.
This was absolutely too much for me. After the second physical and psychological collapse, the doctors wrote me off sick for a long time. When it became apparent that I would no longer be able to do this job in the future, I resigned on medical advice. That was a difficult step for me.
My medical file has now gone through 10 reviewers. Everyone came to the conclusion that I shouldn't work at all anymore.
Today I get a small pension, live a frugal life and take care of the house and farm.

I think that a first step can be to simplify life: small apartment, reduce expenses and reduce working hours. (Yes, that sounds very simple. But I know it's not that simple.)

Phoebes

Armee, I keep an eye out on the state and city employment websites often! I wonder if I could do something from home.

Flitzi, I agree. I've always lived the small, simple life, but always on my own, so it's more expensive than if two of us were sharing expenses. I like it that way so I know it's something I've "done to myself" really. I thought maybe the van life would be an option but I think what I am doing is cheaper these days.

I am sure that I could be relieved due to medical. I have an auto immune disease that has progressed. I think part of my CPTSD and mindset is just to power through with a smile. I would never think to not work because of a medical reason. I have worked through broken limbs, chronic conditions, and this auto immune disorder fairly well working from home, but it's getting more difficult, and the work grows exponentially each year. Making good money for that CEO.

Blueberry

Quote from: Phoebes on December 10, 2023, 03:51:12 PMI've always lived the small, simple life, but always on my own, so it's more expensive than if two of us were sharing expenses. I like it that way so I know it's something I've "done to myself" really.

Except when I was in shared student accommodation getting on for 30 years ago, as an adult I've always lived on my own and you're right it is more expensive than if you lived with a partner/friend. It occurs to me that maybe living alone is something you have done 'for yourself' rather than 'to' yourself ;)  In my case, it's certainly 'for' because I really need my own space.

I resonate with your worries Phoebes, though I have it somewhat better I think, due to where I live and the social welfare. Better than in the US ime.

Phoebes

Absolutely blueberrry! I would not have it any other way. I've done it for myself and my mental health and privacy. I feel safe and secure when I'm alone. But it has probably created a financial situation that was unexpected. Older age has really crept up on me fast! I still feel very young in a lot of ways.