Laughing at FOO

Started by Blueberry, November 03, 2023, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

Today appt at my psychiatrist's I actually ended up laughing at FOO as did my psychiatrist. They were and they are just so ridiculous in their viewpoints and ideas. It really felt good to be able to laugh.

My psych asked beforehand while I was explaining some stuff from FOO if he could say something a little naughty. I said 'Go ahead'. Psych: "Your mother has got a bit of a screw loose". "Several", I responded. I suppose that set the tone for actually laughing at FOO later.

NarcKiddo

Good for you. I think laughing at them helps to take away some of their power. I think my therapist secretly awaits the next instalment of my FOO antics. It's like a soap opera.

woodsgnome

Good deal, Blueberry!  :thumbup:  ;) 

I strongly resonated with what you've expressed here. As a practical matter, I somehow discovered that I could (secretly, of course) treat the people (FOO, teachers, clergy) with the buffoons they portrayed on a daily basis.

That inner humour may not have eased entirely the decades of pain and angst from my experiences with them, but I'm so grateful I somehow/someway always found even the tiniest shreds of laughter, even as I had to hide it from them. BUT it was probably the best item in my survival tookit and I feel it was almost the only way I found make sense out of nonsense.

It helped me to accept that, however and why these things ever happened, I and they were riding on the wrong bus. Some of this was extreme -- it was only recently, for instance, that I remembered something about the m that brought an outburst of hilarity on my part. She was the last and only one I could never find anything even vaguely resembling humour, but whatever it was it happened and, as you noted, it felt good to feel that laughter finally emerge.

On the one hand, none of what those folks were about merits humour, as it never made any sense either. It wasn't really funny, but was and is, totally absurd. It was then, and still is. Ah, but absurdity is one of the pillars of honest humour. It can save, if nothing else does. It's also one of the best surprises one can discover for surving. 

blue_sky

:cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: Cheering for you Blueberry

Humour is an important part in my appointments and healing too.
When I can "laugh" at their actions and thoughts because those are so silly or irrational or uncalled for instead of going "why were they like this? why me? why this why that?", I can feel a shift in the paradigm and my healing journey.

Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" said it quite well.

Kizzie

Years ago a T once said I may just well laugh at some of the N antics in my FOO.  I thought she didn't understand how deeply painful their behaviour was.  Then one day I did find myself laughing at how ridiculous something my NM did and what an amazing feeling that was. It was like freeing myself from being trapped by pain, a stepping back and being objective if you will and not soaking it up and being overwhelmed by N abuse.

Glad you had the experience BB, sign of recovery IMO. 

Blueberry

Thank you all for your replies. I'm too depressive to take much in now. I wish I could keep my instances of humour but I can't.