I love and hate Halloween

Started by Chaos rains, October 31, 2023, 12:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos rains

This is a new realization for me. I adore everything about this day, except for the jump-scare. When he was little, and maybe even still, my son loved going to haunted houses. The scarier, the better, especially when a zombie or whatever would jump out of nowhere to scare us. OMG, I thought I was going to die every time that happened. I would jump three feet in the air and scream. And I mean full-throated scream. I hated it! But he loved it and I'll never understand it.

That shock to my nervous system was just so freakin' painful, it hurts just remembering. He also loves scary amusement park rides, which I also find painfully awful.

I'm glad to know why I'm this way now, but it doesn't seem to alleviate the stress.

At least there's candy.

Bermuda

I was talking recently with someone about this. It can be difficult, and you are right at least there is candy.

I don't want to talk about myself or too much about Halloween themes here, so I will just say me too.

NarcKiddo

I'm very conflicted about Halloween. It has only become any sort of a "thing" in the UK over the last 20 years or so. I am not sure if it was more of a thing in the Nordic countries but my birthday falls in October and my mother would always, always throw a fancy dress party for me with a Halloween theme. I think this made us a bit unusual, and thus the centre of attention. Catnip to mother. The kids loved these parties but she loved them more and always participated as much as was humanly possible for the adult hostess. I have no idea whether or not I truly liked them.

I completely dislike trick or treat. Never did it, never want to do it, never open the door.

Fancy dress is the biggest conflict for me, I think. My husband utterly loathes fancy dress parties so we tend to avoid them. I was trained to enjoy them and will go to quite some effort if I am obliged to attend one, but I don't think I actually enjoy it. The only time I fully enter into the spirit of things (pun not intended!) related to fancy dress is in connection with theatrical production.

Scary stuff does not much bother me. I don't seek it out but in any situation where I know a scare is going to come I am ready for it. I mean, that was my entire childhood, so I have the skills.

Blueberry

I loved Hallowe'en as a child! Christmas - best time of the year, biggest thing to look forward to. Hallowe'en second best. We made our own costumes with help from M or F if necessary. We mostly went door-to-door, though occasionally somebody put a party on earlier in the week. Or in senior high school there were of course Hallowe'en discos. I only went to a haunted house once that I can remember. In those days I could ration out my candy and make it last at least till Christmas, sometimes later. Some neighbours even gave out special homemade Hallowe'en cookies, apples or popcorn balls.

What I liked about Hallowe'en parties, e.g. at school, was bobbing for apples.

Where I now live, Hallowe'en is sort of celebrated a little bit but only as an import from the US, meaning that a fair bit gets lost somewhere over the Atlantic. Only once did children come to my door, years ago now. I was rather surprised, didn't have anything in, so gave each an orange. They weren't dressed up though, which was a shame. Dressing up comes in a big way at a different time of year here.

Quote from: Chaos rains on October 31, 2023, 12:26:24 PMThat shock to my nervous system was just so freakin' painful, it hurts just remembering. He also loves scary amusement park rides, which I also find painfully awful.

I'm with you on amusement park rides. Last time I was on anything that went up in the air, I screamed uncontrollably the whole time. As you said about the jump-scare, at least I now know why. Not having children of my own, I now refuse to go on amusement park rides that I can't handle. I only go on very tame ones, and even then I have a little bit of anxiety, but it's manageable and the ride is fun.

Quote from: NarcKiddo on October 31, 2023, 01:27:02 PMScary stuff does not much bother me. I don't seek it out but in any situation where I know a scare is going to come I am ready for it. I mean, that was my entire childhood, so I have the skills.
Italics mine.  :rofl:  Sad too, but does have its humorous side

Quote from: NarcKiddo on October 31, 2023, 01:27:02 PMI'm very conflicted about Halloween. It has only become any sort of a "thing" in the UK over the last 20 years or so.
Actually they celebrated it in Scotland long before that, but it was possibly dying out as a custom by the time it took off in England, presumably as a US import. In Scotland back then, they used turnips instead of pumpkins.

Bach

I liked Halloween when I was a kid and it wasn't a big deal, just a fun little thing where you dressed up and carved a pumpkin and ate some candy. I don't like it now that it's another exploited money maker and waste generator here in the USA that goes on for an entire month and includes giant yard displays.

(I sound like a grumpy old man!)