How Visceral? (TW--bodily functions)

Started by gcj07a, August 16, 2023, 01:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcj07a

I'm not sure where to put this note. But, lately, I can get deep into an emotional flashback (I am letting it happen, not fighting it, being in my body, checking in with my IC, etc) when I have an overwhelming urge to vomit. I do so and the EF ends more or less. It isn't vomit like stomach bug vomit. Like, I am not emptying the contents of my stomach (so sorry to be this graphic), just heaving some stuff from the top. I have an appointment with my T tomorrow and my psychiatrist at the end of the month and will talk to them, but wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience.

Kizzie

When I am in a bad EF I often have dry retching (versus vomiting) and like you, I find I feel better if I just let it happen instead of trying to stop it.  It feels like I have let something out too, weird but that's CPTSD for you. 

gcj07a

Thanks Kizzie!

My T today told me that wretching/dry heaves are to be expected as I actually face my EFs instead of numbing myself.

Kizzie

That's interesting, I never had a T who validated this symptom.  I currently have a T who has CPTSD and treats it so she may.  It makes me happy to hear this as it makes me feel like there are more T's who get us now.

gcj07a

Yes, she told me it is especially common for survivors of SA. I definitely think I lucked out with this T.

Kizzie

Yes, definitely sounds like a keeper GCJ!

Bermuda

I see I am a bit late on this one, but I just wanted to add that you're not alone. I struggle with this too to the point that it may have led to other health issues. It's such an irritating symptom of trauma. It almost feels like it's one of those few that seem maladaptive. How is nausea supposed to protect us when under threat? I hope that it improves for you.

DD

I also have this. It is especially bad when fealing with SA flashbacks but have had that also with just a really bad other stuff too. I find that it helps once I let what ever is attenpting to surface, just surface. Not nice

Kizzie

You said it DD, it really is not nice.  I've learned what's stuffed down inside has to come up though.  Maybe there's a better way of getting at those memories and feelings but so far it's been pretty visceral/physical for me.

NarcKiddo

Quote from: Bermuda on August 17, 2023, 07:12:11 PMHow is nausea supposed to protect us when under threat?

I don't get this symptom, at least I don't think I do. The only reason I have become slightly unsure on reading this thread is that I have a very high tolerance for nausea and can eat when nauseated. I also have no concern about vomiting if I think it might improve the nausea.

I think that we feel stress and fear in our gut. There is a gut/brain link. My theory is this. If you were faced by a raging tiger you would not feel nausea (unless maybe you were tied up and had no way of escape). Instead your flight or freeze response would kick in and you would do whatever was necessary to escape. But vomiting is our body's way of expelling poison. Typically, EFs don't involve an actual vision of the predator, just a feeling which can centre around the gut. So maybe, in the absence of obvious physical stimuli, the brain concludes there could be a poison and tries to expel it.

Bermuda

NarcKiddo, I like that analogy. The poison cycle.

gcj07a

Quote from: NarcKiddo on August 18, 2023, 04:49:24 PMTypically, EFs don't involve an actual vision of the predator, just a feeling which can centre around the gut. So maybe, in the absence of obvious physical stimuli, the brain concludes there could be a poison and tries to expel it.

I like this a lot. My psychiatrist also told me that a lot of neurotransmitters are present in great quantities in the gut. For example, 90% of the body's serotonin is in the gut.

dollyvee

This is an interesting thread to come across as last night while sleeping, was actually woken up because I vomited a little (tho caught it in my mouth; sorry if too graphic too). I ate some before bed but usually this is not an issue and haven't experienced anything like this before. I wonder if it is related to my last few days at work, which were somewhat stressful, and perhaps I was processing things in my sleep. 

I have the feeling of dry retching that people are describing though probably more in an visual/imaginative way than purely physical. I wonder if this is connected to the vagus nerve reexperiencing symptoms of fight/flight as the vagus nerve is connected to the digestive system.

Kizzie

QuoteI have the feeling of dry retching that people are describing though probably more in an visual/imaginative way than purely physical. I wonder if this is connected to the vagus nerve reexperiencing symptoms of fight/flight as the vagus nerve is connected to the digestive system.

That may just be it Dolly.

dollyvee

Yeah I've had vagus nerve/digestive issues come up before where it was like my digestion doesn't "turn on" when I'm stressed, which means that food gets stuck in my throat and doesn't empty into my stomach. Sort of like Hope's post today, I think there could be several different factors at play, but stress is definitely one.