Extreme sleepiness during challenging moment?

Started by storyworld, May 28, 2023, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_sky

Hi storyworld,

I definitely have first hand experience with extreme sleepiness. At first I always thought it might be the medications, but later started realising that my body just likes to shut off and sleep because that's when my mind is not constantly worrying or thinking about the dangers/past/memories/triggers.
For me, it happens mostly when I am home and my bed is readily available. Once I'm in my bed, under the blanket, crawled up into a ball (almost like a fetus position), I feel safest. I think that's how I used to lie down during CSA once the "event" was over.

Sometimes I need to sleep even after facing an anxiety provoking moment like a social event or a family gathering. And I can sleep anywhere between 2-4 hours at a time. Some weekends I wake up at 7am and go back to sleep by 11am.

My T and I explained to my H about my sleepiness. Nowadays, I let him know that I need some sleep and to wake me up after max 2 hours. That way, I still get to sleep (which is so important for my inner child who faced the abuse) but at the same time, I can maintain my sleep cycle for night time.

Healing Finally

Me too storyworld!!  I do this too.  As blue_sky has shared, my bed is my haven.  When I'm stressed I can feel sleepy and want to just go to bed.

I definitely believe it's a form of dissociation.  :thumbup:  I always seem to feel better afterwards.  I think it's a way to reset our vagus nerve  :yes: