Help Understanding

Started by storyworld, May 26, 2023, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

Quote from: Armee on May 26, 2023, 01:40:10 PMBut dissociation ranges all the way from mild and very normal (everyone experiences it) phenomena to DID all the way on the other end, with many many stops in between. So just because you experience dissociation (which is part and parcel of CPTSD really) does not mean you are like your mom. Even if you were on the far end of the spectrum and had DID

Hi Storyworld,

This is a bit of an older post on your thread. I'm mostly in an inpatient program atm so I haven't been reading much on here. Armee's post caught my eye because I'm noticing a lot of behavioural similarities between my M and myself today and that's very difficult. My inpatient T was explaining today that there are many differences between me and my M, including the very fact that I was sitting in her office talking honestly about myself and being willing to look at what I'm doing to myself and to others, and working on myself. With this being an older post I'm quoting, maybe you've moved on from these thoughts anyway? idk.

storyworld

Blueberry, thank you for taking the time to comment and share your story. I wonder if this will always be a struggle for me--seeing myself as my mom, fearing I'll be my mom, etc. I actually just talked with my therapist about that in my last session! I like your focus on how you are doing the hard work to get better. I hope you're inpatient treatment is going well! 

Kizzie

I have to agree BB, the fact that both you and Storyworld on on this site being honest and making every effort to recover means you are different from your M's just as your T pointed out Storyworld. IME people often have some similarities to their parents, how they laugh or speak, mannerisms for example, but not necessarily the bad things. It's a worry I understand though.  :hug: to both of you. 

Blueberry

Quote from: storyworld on July 07, 2023, 08:45:53 PMI wonder if this will always be a struggle for me--seeing myself as my mom, fearing I'll be my mom, etc.

ime your struggle is likely to at least become weaker with time. Maybe even completely disappear. Unless of course you end up going into Fight modus a lot and that kind of thing, which I do. :fallingbricks:  :disappear: Meaning Ihave some of the bad things too :disappear:

Thank you for your good wishes on my inpatient treatment program.