My journey so far

Started by Little2Nothing, February 20, 2024, 12:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little2Nothing

Hope, music is powerful. There are some songs the really speak to me and move me to tears. There is a kind of comfort in their sadness.

Little2Nothing

I have been in therapy for nearly two years with the same T. I can see some of the progress I have made, though at times I think it has been too slow. Personally I would like to deal with things more quickly. My T, however, thinks moving slower is safer and will be more effective. I suppose it would be hard to just rip the bandage off of 16 years of abuse and not expect issues. 

The study I'm involved in (TopDD) has a lot of good information. The process so far has been to learn how to stay grounded, deal with memories, etc. I will say that all these processes are simple in theory, but very difficult to implement. One element is knowing your triggers, or at least recognizing when you are being triggered. This is very difficult for me. Sometimes I am already caught up in the emotion and trying to bring it under control is no easy task.

Today is one of those days when I feel nothing. I'm neither happy nor sad, I am just empty. Though I guess "empty" is a feeling. I'm writing this knowing that someone may read it. That gives me connection and assures me that I am not alone. The worst part of CPTSD, for me, is the sense of isolation and loneliness. At the moment I am by myself and that loneliness is magnified. Later my family will be here (wife and kids) and I will not be physically alone. However, that doesn't mean the sense of loneliness will abate. Connection is hard for me.

Probably none of that makes any sense. The one thing about OOTS is it gives me an outlet and a sense of belonging. Though this is all anonymous and none of you really know me, I take comfort in associating with folks who have been where I've been and consequently can relate to my story.

GoSlash27

"The worst part of CPTSD, for me, is the sense of isolation and loneliness. At the moment I am by myself and that loneliness is magnified. Later my family will be here (wife and kids) and I will not be physically alone. However, that doesn't mean the sense of loneliness will abate. Connection is hard for me.
Probably none of that makes any sense."

It makes perfect sense, actually.   :yes:

If I wasn't so very much the same way, I'd probably still be married.

Stay strong,
-Slashy

Armee

It all makes perfect sense and nearly any of us could have written it word for word.

I don't know if it helps. Me and my T went too fast at first. It doesn't work. There are so many issues with going fast but one really big one is you end up triggered or dissociated during therapy itself and that time in therapy spent in those states outside the window of tolerance means effective healing work can't take place. So you are essentially wasting that time. There are many many other reasons to go slow, but that is one. Two years isn't long for trauma and dissociation. I'm going on 5.5 years now. I really hope to be done by the end of this year but realistically it might be another full year. But there's been massive improvement along the way it's not like 2 or 5 or 6 years of not feeling better. So please don't feel bad it's taking awhile. It does. But this is intricate work being done. Reworking how our brain and nervous system functions. Keep going!

Little2Nothing

Thanks, Armee, I always appreciate you wisdom. I will defer to my T's guidance. I can see how going too fast could cause major problems.

Slashy, it is helpful to know that others have the same issues.