Psychiatrists are hidebound and in denial

Started by TreseO, September 10, 2021, 01:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreseO

My psychiatrist denies my cptsd. Thinks I am simply depressed. Now wants me to undergo electro convulsive therapy and it terrifys me. It should Not be given to those with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks as it can make them worse. How can I get him to SEE me as a broken child, denied her very existence and treated with contempt and ridicule and how it has changed who I was meant to be, Not this fractured, avoiding conflict and family because I don't belong, I exist at the edge of society, have always yearned to be a part of life, not cut off from it. I'm not depressed, I am however a daughter of a narcissist with all the mistreatment she did to me. I have no capacity for most emotions as they were frowned upon so I learned to be silent. But I had to put this out there to see if anyone else has had problems getting the treatment they need. Thank you.

Dante

Hi TreseO, a resounding yes.  I've been through multiple therapists, psychiatrists, counselors over the years.  I first learned about CPTSD last summer and immediately knew that I finally had an answer.  (I'm not sure what the question is, but that's a different story).  My last two attempts at counselors told me they didn't like labels, and that I should just try to be happier.

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but my experience has been not so far.

(Similar family dynamics, child of a narcissist, not allowed to feel, be seen, have opinions/wants).

Kizzie

Yikes TreseO, just my opinion of course but seems like it would be in your own best interests to check out other therapists, in particular ones who know about Complex PTSD.  Misdiagnosis is common problem for us because it was only recently CPTSD became an official diagnosis. 

Finding knowledgeable T's is or can be a challenge but they are out there.  It's getting a bit easier now that you can do sessions virtually.  We have a list of databases here https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=881.0 along with other info/resources. 

Good luck! 

BeeKeeper

I add my voice against ECT and agree with Kizzie.

QuoteYikes TreseO, just my opinion of course but seems like it would be in your own best interests to check out other therapists, in particular ones who know about Complex PTSD.  Misdiagnosis is common problem for us because it was only recently CPTSD became an official diagnosis.

I'm sorry you are facing this and I understand the terror.

TreseO

Life is tough when you can't make decisions. I woke up crying, came here and saw the replies. Through the tears, I want to thank those who replied for your advice, kindness and understanding. Validation is worth more than gold. At 68, you'd think I'd have a handle on my life but no, I'm still stuck in the past. Kizzie, I will look into the resources.

TreseO

Last post on this topic.
~The psychiatrist called me at 9pm and said he will find a therapist who works with those with C-ptsd. And it will be covered by Ontario Health. That he has taken the time to call me, my esteem for him has gone way up. He did HEAR me. So, speak up, say what is on your mind and keep looking for someone who can help.

~I have stood up to the medical professionals. This is what I sent them. It was very liberating..

I have spent a night crying. The ECT terrifies me and today I posted about my fear of ECT on the Out of the Storm.org. A 9,000 member group of men and women, started by a Canadian in 2014 to address Complex-ptsd. Those who replied told me to find a therapist who has knowledge of Cptsd. Of which, Dr Shah does not recognize. I fear that old memories will surface and I know I will suffer greatly if that happens. I am going to find a therapist with not only knowledge of cptsd but sees it as a discreet mental condition in its own right. I don't belong in boxes and given labels that don't apply to me. I'm not depressed, just disappointed.
I will not be attending the meeting on Monday. I know ECT isn't for me.

~it was your responses that helped me find my voice. Hugs to you all.

My psychiatrist denies my cptsd. Thinks I am simply depressed. Now wants me to undergo electro convulsive therapy and it terrifys me. It should Not be given to those with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks as it can make them worse. How can I get him to SEE me as a broken child, denied her very existence and treated with contempt and ridicule and how it has changed who I was meant to be, Not this fractured, avoiding conflict and family because I don't belong, I exist at the edge of society, have always yearned to be a part of life, not cut off from it. I'm not depressed, I am however a daughter of a narcissist with all the mistreatment she did to me. I have no capacity for most emotions as they were frowned upon so I learned to be silent. But I had to put this out there to see if anyone else has had problems getting the treatment they need. Thank you.