I'm using 'Colouring In' books to heal

Started by Kubali, June 08, 2015, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubali

Hello everyone

A while back my niece bought me a beautiful book called "Enchanted Forest. An inky quest and colouring book" I have been colouring in again!!

I'm finding it soothing, relaxing and absorbing. It is incredibly helpful especially after an intense fear-filled flashback. It brings me nicely back to the present moment. Softly and gently easing back, without the harsh reality slapping me in the face.

I thoroughly recommend this activity. It's creative and always gives a sense of achievement. These positives are truly welcome. It's nothing spectacular, but it's mine. Does any one know what I mean?

Kubali

C.

Yes, I find coloring to be a very relaxing activity.  I like to use lots of markers and color designs, flowers, things that need a lot of colour.  I share your joy in finding those activities ;)

Kubali

Thanks C!

I'm wondering if it's related to inner child healing?

Seems interesting to think of it as a gentle safe playtime

Kubali

Kizzie

Play Doh is lots of fun and I love Lego too. Say yes to your Inner Child!   :sunny:

C.

Haha great point ;)  I like bubbles too.  It's making me look at the toy isle in a whole new way!

Kubali

Sometimes I re-read my children's books. Lots of Enid Blyton and "Famous Five"

I think tho that my favourite stories are "The Siver Brumby" series by Elayne Mitchell. If I'm drawn to read these books I know it means my child needs are asking for comfort and kindness. Just curl up on the sofa and be whisked off to a better place. Lovely!!

sunnyday1

Quote from: Kubali on June 11, 2015, 11:13:43 PM
Sometimes I re-read my children's books. Lots of Enid Blyton and "Famous Five"

I think tho that my favourite stories are "The Siver Brumby" series by Elayne Mitchell. If I'm drawn to read these books I know it means my child needs are asking for comfort and kindness. Just curl up on the sofa and be whisked off to a better place. Lovely!!

I second that one, because I'm a reader at heart. I tend to go for the Frances Hodgson Burnett ones.   Librivox audio books, too. 

Gonna try the coloring thing. 

smg

:-) I love my Famous Five too! Along with Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series, and James Herriot.

I also listen to children's audiobooks to fall asleep. Sometimes I feel a little ashamed to do that, because I've been seeing it as distracting/dissociating from depressed or critical thoughts. I really like the idea of framing these practices as connecting to your inner child (and disconnecting from your inner critic). I periodically try to add a little meditation/mindfullness to my evening routine as well. I would like to make that a regular practice.

smg

thegirlintheattic

I love this thread!  I love using markers and also oil pastels to doodle and unwind and yes, it does connect me to my inner child.  Something about getting lost in colors and shapes is very soothing to me and it's nice that you can easily cary a notepad and pastels around with you. 

Butterfly

Art craft of all sorts help me tremendously, but I'm running out of room for supplies and finished product! :tongue2: