Disliking theraphy

Started by Outlandish, October 01, 2019, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlandish

For 2 years I went in Group theraphy. I was always anxious to go. Before that I went to One in One session- same story. Im always af scared in theraphy. I dont Really Know why. Cut it be that I'm forced to talk about traumatic events? (Im not diagnosed. Cptsd is not a valid dianose Where I live)

saylor

Hi Outlandish,
There are various possibilities. Maybe you are afraid of having to relive your trauma, or having to reveal things about your thoughts and behaviors that cause you shame. Or maybe your therapist isn't sufficiently sensitive to your needs, and that triggers you. Or maybe your therapist is good, but something about the space where you have your sessions is triggering.
I had some bad experiences with a therapist that were extremely triggering. I ended up deciding not to pursue talk therapy and look for other approaches. Conversely, some people say therapy has dramatically improved their lives.
I think there are lots of variables, and finding a healthy, productive therapeutic alliance can sometimes be challenging

Three Roses

I agree with saylor, and I would encourage you to go very slowly, taking care to take the time you need to determine if you want to talk to a different therapist, or continue with talk therapy at all. Self education would be helpful in this, to let you know the different ways the brain is affected by trauma so that you can more accurately guage the knowledge and effectiveness of your therapist and his/her approach.

There are many other forms of therapy out there besides talk therapy, which imo is the least effective. I hope you continue to post here, and ask questions as they come up, and hopefully others will weigh in on this thread for you. Best wishes!
:heythere: